Rice Quoted in New York Times
Dr. Mark Rice, Professor and Chair of the American Studies Department, was recently quoted in an article in the New York Times that covered the presidential debates and the style of each candidate.
The article, “The Opiate of Exceptionalism,” was written by Scott Shane, a reporter in the Times’ Washington Bureau. Rice was called upon to offer his perspective on the election, specifically the point that Shane was making, which was that candidates skated around serious American problems because voters don’t like hearing about them.
Shane found Rice through his blog, Ranking America. Rice says his blog “challenges assumptions that the United States excels at everything, when in reality, this country’s ranking is much lower than others on many levels.”
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Storms Back To Win Courage Bowl XII
- Luncheon Celebrates Courage Bowl Honorary Coaches, Cheerleaders
- Service Trips a Passion for School of Pharmacy
- Service Saturdays Help Students Give Where They Live
- C-SPAN Bus Brings Election Season to Life
- Students Focus on Strengths during Semester’s First Women’s Leadership Series Event
- Microfluidics: A Collaboration between the Chemistry and Biology Departments
- 2010 Grad Named Assistant Coach for NBA Development League Team