Llewellyn Publishes Book
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had his seventh science education book in December by Corwin Press.
Inquire Within helps 3rd-8th grade teachers integrate hands-on investigations with scientific argumentation as fostered through the Next Generation Science Standards and the Common Core English/Language Arts standards. A main focus of the book shows how elementary and middle school teachers can help their students design and conduct investigations, analyze the results to form claims, and then justify and defend their claims with reasoning and supportive evidence.
In one chapter, as a way to demonstrate how science is a natural pairing with literacy, Llewellyn partners with Professor Sharon Christman and six of her students from EDU 356 (Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in Intermediate Literacy). In a science lesson on the three classes of levers, Brenden Hamilton, Cody Miller, Cody Headwell, Dusty Baker, Kristen Melville, Kyle Smith, and Mary Katherine DeLary form stations to present each type of lever to fourth graders at Clara Barton School #2. After the lesson and back in the campus classroom, the six Fisher students reflect on the effectiveness of engaging students in science while promoting reading and writing literacy.
This is the third edition of the book. And Llewellyn has since been invited to make two presentations on inquiry and argumentation at the National Science Teachers Association annual conference in April.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International