Annual Scholarship Dinner Held November 8
St. John Fisher College held its Annual Scholarship Dinner on Thursday, November 8, bringing together over 150 scholarship benefactors and recipients to Cleary Auditorium. This year’s featured speakers included Angela Monnat, Fisher’s Director of Financial Aid, and scholarship recipient Husain Bawany ’13. President Donald Bain and Dr. Gerard Rooney, Executive Vice President for Enrollment, Advancement, and Planning, also offered some remarks.
Monnat has been a financial aid professional for almost 30 years, and has been at Fisher for the last 18 years. In 2011, Monnat and her staff of seven administered $90 million in federal, state, and institutional financial aid. Of this $90 million, $28 million was comprised of institutional scholarships and grants.
Bawany is a senior biology and religious studies major, with a minor in chemistry. He is the recipient of the Dorothy Day Religious Study Scholarship, the Student Government Association Scholarship, and the 2012 Jennifer Koon Courage Award.
President of the Muslim Student Association and the Religious Studies Club, Bawany also sings in the a cappella group, Measure 13. He has served as the vice president of the Class of 2013, and in the Student Senate. Bawany has participated in several leadership initiatives on and off campus, including the Washington, D.C. Interfaith Leadership Institute, LeaderShape Institute Leadership Development Program, Interfaith Dialogue Program in honor of the Anniversary of the Goldman-Brennan Institute, and the College’s Strategic Planning Committee.
Outside of Fisher, Bawany is a service fellow with the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, and he volunteers with the Wesley Gardens Nursing Home. Additionally, he served as a camp counselor for Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer Camp, and as a teacher for the Islamic Center of Rochester Summer Camp. He was also an Assistant Scout Master for Boy Scouts of America Troop 727.
With a GPA of 3.94, it is no surprise that Bawany has made the Dean’s List for the last three years. He is currently applying for medical school, and plans to pursue a career in medicine. During his time at Fisher, he has interned at many medical facilities in the community, and has participated in various research programs with the University of Rochester. Currently, he is conducting research on campus with his advisor, Dr. Kathleen Savage.
“My scholarship has taught me about the value of giving, large or small,” said Bawany. “For me, the support of my benefactor, Father Graf, whom I know as a professor, mentor, and friend, has embodied a sense of community. The scholarship that he has provided me has been instrumental in letting me pursue community service and leadership roles on and off campus, while still allowing me to focus on my academics without having to constantly worry about financing my education.”
There are currently over 160 private scholarships offered at Fisher. This year, over 450 students have received over $1 million in private scholarship assistance. In 2011, over $435,000 was donated to the Fisher Fund in the form of scholarship support by faculty and staff.
Dr. Donald Bain, Husain Bawany, Angela Monnat, and Dr. Gerard Rooney.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International