Norsen Named to Academic All-America First Team
St. John Fisher College men’s basketball player Jason Norsen has been named to the Capital One Academic All-America Team First Team by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).
To be eligible for Academic All-America® consideration, a student-athlete must be a varsity starter or key reserve, maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.30 on a scale of 4.00, have reached sophomore athletic and academic standings at his/her current institution, and be nominated by his/her sports information director.
Norsen, who was named to the Academic All-America Third Team last winter, advanced to the national ballot after earning All-District First Team honors for the second straight year back in January.
An accounting major with a 3.91 cumulative grade point average, Norsen leads the nation in blocked shots with 88 (3.5 per game), which is also the College's single-season record. A four-year starter, he also ranks 11th nationally in field goal percentage and currently leads Fisher in scoring and rebounding.
For his career, he is Fisher's all-time leader in blocked shots and field goal percentage. He also ranks seventh in career rebounding and 13th in career scoring.
Besides academics and basketball, Norsen has been contributor in the community. A four-year member of Fisher's Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Norsen has helped generate money for the Golisano Children's Hospital through various fundraising events. He has volunteered as a mentor, reading to children in the Rochester City School District, while also participating in various activities involving the Special Olympics.
“Young men like Jason don't come around every day,” said Rob Kornaker, Fisher's head coach since 2001. “He's obviously a very talented basketball player, but what he has accomplished in the classroom and the way he has been active in our community, finding the time to give to back to others, is really what sets him apart from others.”
- College's Justinian Order Holds 12th Annual Luncheon Featuring Honorable Frank Geraci, Jr.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award