2011 Day of Celebration Honors Native American Heritage
St. John Fisher College’s Cleary Family Auditorium welcomed over 250 attendees to this past weekend’s 12th Annual Day of Celebration. This year, the focus of the Day of Celebration was the Native American culture. Latasha Hill and Quintell White served as the event student co-chairs.
The day started off with the Cultural Marketplace, showcasing holiday celebrations from various cultures, races, and ethnicities, including Three Kings, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Ramadan. Members from Native American tribes across New York State were in attendance to share their culture. In addition, many local organizations and individual members from the Rochester community participated as a performer or a vendor to showcase and celebrate their Native American heritage. Some of the performers included the Young Spirit Dancers, Odasz Dance Theatre/Western New York Ballet, Perry Storyteller, Bandhra Dance, and Fisher’s own Measure 13, Arts in Motion, and the Dance Club.
Special thanks to the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, the Office of Campus Life, and the many student organization and department co-sponsors.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans