December First Friday Lecture Looks Back at Second Vatican Council
Fr. William Graf, Chair of the Religious Studies Department and the William and Helen Cavanaugh Chair of Catholic Studies, will present “50 Years After Vatican II: A Look Back at the Convening of the Second Vatican Council” for the First Friday Lecture on December 6. The lecture will take place in Coleman Chapel in Murphy Hall at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
To understand the exciting times of the Second Vatican Council (October 1962-December 1965), Graf will briefly explore its origins and the turbulent sessions that took place over three years. Why would a 77-year-old Pope want to call an ecumenical council? Why would the Curia want to question any possible changes? The last five Popes (John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI) played a role during those sessions; while Pope Francis was not yet ordained a priest.
Graf is a priest of the Diocese of Rochester who first came to Fisher in January 1982 on a part-time basis. Aside from teaching, he has also served on a variety of committees including the Academic Standing Committee and the Catholic Heritage sub-committee of the College's Board of Trustees. As a priest of the Diocese of Rochester, he has been the Coordinator of the Priestly Life and Ministry Committee and served as a psychological consultant for the Marriage Tribunal. In recent months, he has given a variety of presentations locally and abroad in Ireland. His years in the classroom, as well as 53 years in parish ministry, allowed him the opportunity to witness the theory and practice of the various documents that flowed from the exciting times of Vatican II.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot X and V near Murphy Hall. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students