School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
On August 3 and 4, the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education and the School’s Executive Leadership Doctoral Program sponsored the “Schools Sharing What Works” symposium for charter school teachers, leaders, and board members from across New York State. Over 100 participants came together to share innovative practices and practical strategies for student success.
Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Dean of the School of Education, and Mayor Lovely Warren opened the conference on Sunday evening, followed by keynote speaker Christopher D. Finn, Principal of Lady Liberty Academy Charter School in Newark, NJ. Finn, who was also a founding teacher at Promise Academy in the Harlem Children’s Zone, described education as a “calling” and pointed to many specific strategies and techniques that he has seen work effectively with children poised to achieve.
The conference continued with 23 individual workshop sessions ranging from student-led conferences to real estate strategies to the use of common core standards. Workshops were conducted by charter school teachers, leaders, and board members. In addition to key school representatives, sessions were provided by charter school experts from the Northeast Charter School Network as well as charter school authorizers from the SUNY Charter School Institute and the New York State Education Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair