School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
On August 3 and 4, the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education and the School’s Executive Leadership Doctoral Program sponsored the “Schools Sharing What Works” symposium for charter school teachers, leaders, and board members from across New York State. Over 100 participants came together to share innovative practices and practical strategies for student success.
Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Dean of the School of Education, and Mayor Lovely Warren opened the conference on Sunday evening, followed by keynote speaker Christopher D. Finn, Principal of Lady Liberty Academy Charter School in Newark, NJ. Finn, who was also a founding teacher at Promise Academy in the Harlem Children’s Zone, described education as a “calling” and pointed to many specific strategies and techniques that he has seen work effectively with children poised to achieve.
The conference continued with 23 individual workshop sessions ranging from student-led conferences to real estate strategies to the use of common core standards. Workshops were conducted by charter school teachers, leaders, and board members. In addition to key school representatives, sessions were provided by charter school experts from the Northeast Charter School Network as well as charter school authorizers from the SUNY Charter School Institute and the New York State Education Department.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes