Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
St. John Fisher College will offer a new Sustainability minor at the start of the 2014 academic year.
The interdisciplinary minor will fall under a new Sustainability Program that includes courses from across the School of Arts and Sciences. The interdisciplinary minor will combine a core of biology, philosophy, and economics with a selection of electives from biology, chemistry, English, economics, mathematics, peace and social justice, and philosophy. Students will establish a foundational competency in environmental science, ethics, economics, and policy through the required classes and link to their major interests with electives.
“The economic and societal issues related to sustainability are increasingly important to employers, and this program will prepare students to address this important societal issue,” said Dr. Michael Boller, Sustainability Program Director and Associate Professor in the Department of Biology. “Our goal is to prepare them to become more engaged members of society and effect positive change in their fields.”
Some of the courses include: Environmental Issues, Principles of Microeconomics, Environmental Ethics, A Sustainable Future, Ecology, Nature Writing, Global Issues and French Film: The Environment, Mathematical Modeling, and more. The program will also have a service-learning components.
Most recently, the College became a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, an organization of colleges and universities that are working to advance sustainability in higher education.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Health Fair Delivers Medical Care to Refugees in Rochester
- Fisher Hosts National Computers and Writing Conference
- Rice’s Book Earns Philippine Book Award Nomination
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Ed.D. Candidate Appointed Dean of Admissions at Morrisville State College
- Community Literacy Center Receives Grant Support
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine