Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
St. John Fisher College will offer a new Sustainability minor at the start of the 2014 academic year.
The interdisciplinary minor will fall under a new Sustainability Program that includes courses from across the School of Arts and Sciences. The interdisciplinary minor will combine a core of biology, philosophy, and economics with a selection of electives from biology, chemistry, English, economics, mathematics, peace and social justice, and philosophy. Students will establish a foundational competency in environmental science, ethics, economics, and policy through the required classes and link to their major interests with electives.
“The economic and societal issues related to sustainability are increasingly important to employers, and this program will prepare students to address this important societal issue,” said Dr. Michael Boller, Sustainability Program Director and Associate Professor in the Department of Biology. “Our goal is to prepare them to become more engaged members of society and effect positive change in their fields.”
Some of the courses include: Environmental Issues, Principles of Microeconomics, Environmental Ethics, A Sustainable Future, Ecology, Nature Writing, Global Issues and French Film: The Environment, Mathematical Modeling, and more. The program will also have a service-learning components.
Most recently, the College became a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, an organization of colleges and universities that are working to advance sustainability in higher education.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program