Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Students Trick and Read
On Friday, October 26, a group of Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) members marked the 2nd Annual Day of Service for the BGS International Honor Society by tricking and reading with students at School No. 19.
The students were accompanied by the BGS chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Jason Berman, Professor of Management/Marketing. Their goal was to promote and encourage literacy.
BGS members dressed up in their Halloween best and read classic tales to children from kindergarten through second grade. The books were then donated to the school. Some of the favorites among the students included “The Cat in the Hat,” “Penguin Pete,” “How Rocket Learned to Read,” and “Rainbow Fish.”
Jacquelyn Cowley and Brendan Kazmierski, BGS co-liaisons, said they were humbled by the rewarding experience.
“I will never forget how much joy reading brought to these students,” said Cowley. “They would have loved if we could have stayed there all night.”
During their visit, Berman said the members epitomized the characteristics that BGS stands for: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness.
“The real measure of leadership is your legacy; not what you achieve for yourself, but rather what you accomplish on behalf of others,” said Berman. “The students gave back to a group of kids who will long remember the time they spent with Woody, a fairy princess, a bottle of ketchup, a Buffalo Sabre, a penguin, Minnie Mouse, a New York Yankee, and a doctor.”
Latest College News Stories
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Birnie Named Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Wegmans School of Pharmacy Founding Dean, Dr. Scott Swigart
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance