Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Students Trick and Read
On Friday, October 26, a group of Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) members marked the 2nd Annual Day of Service for the BGS International Honor Society by tricking and reading with students at School No. 19.
The students were accompanied by the BGS chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Jason Berman, Professor of Management/Marketing. Their goal was to promote and encourage literacy.
BGS members dressed up in their Halloween best and read classic tales to children from kindergarten through second grade. The books were then donated to the school. Some of the favorites among the students included “The Cat in the Hat,” “Penguin Pete,” “How Rocket Learned to Read,” and “Rainbow Fish.”
Jacquelyn Cowley and Brendan Kazmierski, BGS co-liaisons, said they were humbled by the rewarding experience.
“I will never forget how much joy reading brought to these students,” said Cowley. “They would have loved if we could have stayed there all night.”
During their visit, Berman said the members epitomized the characteristics that BGS stands for: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness.
“The real measure of leadership is your legacy; not what you achieve for yourself, but rather what you accomplish on behalf of others,” said Berman. “The students gave back to a group of kids who will long remember the time they spent with Woody, a fairy princess, a bottle of ketchup, a Buffalo Sabre, a penguin, Minnie Mouse, a New York Yankee, and a doctor.”
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year