Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Students Trick and Read
On Friday, October 26, a group of Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) members marked the 2nd Annual Day of Service for the BGS International Honor Society by tricking and reading with students at School No. 19.
The students were accompanied by the BGS chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Jason Berman, Professor of Management/Marketing. Their goal was to promote and encourage literacy.
BGS members dressed up in their Halloween best and read classic tales to children from kindergarten through second grade. The books were then donated to the school. Some of the favorites among the students included “The Cat in the Hat,” “Penguin Pete,” “How Rocket Learned to Read,” and “Rainbow Fish.”
Jacquelyn Cowley and Brendan Kazmierski, BGS co-liaisons, said they were humbled by the rewarding experience.
“I will never forget how much joy reading brought to these students,” said Cowley. “They would have loved if we could have stayed there all night.”
During their visit, Berman said the members epitomized the characteristics that BGS stands for: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness.
“The real measure of leadership is your legacy; not what you achieve for yourself, but rather what you accomplish on behalf of others,” said Berman. “The students gave back to a group of kids who will long remember the time they spent with Woody, a fairy princess, a bottle of ketchup, a Buffalo Sabre, a penguin, Minnie Mouse, a New York Yankee, and a doctor.”
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain