Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Students Trick and Read
On Friday, October 26, a group of Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) members marked the 2nd Annual Day of Service for the BGS International Honor Society by tricking and reading with students at School No. 19.
The students were accompanied by the BGS chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Jason Berman, Professor of Management/Marketing. Their goal was to promote and encourage literacy.
BGS members dressed up in their Halloween best and read classic tales to children from kindergarten through second grade. The books were then donated to the school. Some of the favorites among the students included “The Cat in the Hat,” “Penguin Pete,” “How Rocket Learned to Read,” and “Rainbow Fish.”
Jacquelyn Cowley and Brendan Kazmierski, BGS co-liaisons, said they were humbled by the rewarding experience.
“I will never forget how much joy reading brought to these students,” said Cowley. “They would have loved if we could have stayed there all night.”
During their visit, Berman said the members epitomized the characteristics that BGS stands for: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness.
“The real measure of leadership is your legacy; not what you achieve for yourself, but rather what you accomplish on behalf of others,” said Berman. “The students gave back to a group of kids who will long remember the time they spent with Woody, a fairy princess, a bottle of ketchup, a Buffalo Sabre, a penguin, Minnie Mouse, a New York Yankee, and a doctor.”
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement