Economics Department Receives Grant to Fund Spring Programs, Research Opportunities
The St. John Fisher College Economics Department is encouraging consideration and discussion about the role of free markets and individual liberty in society through a variety of activities this spring thanks to a grant from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation.
The department will host two guest speakers to lead discussions. On Tuesday, February 18, Lawrence W. Reed, President of the Foundation for Economic Education, will be giving a lecture about president Grover Cleveland in honor of President’s Day. His talk will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135. And on Tuesday, April 22 (which is also Earth Day), Dr. Bruce Yandle, Professor and Dean Emeritus of Clemson University, will speak about markets and the environment.
There is also a research opportunity for 2-3 students this semester. Under the supervision of a faculty member, the students will develop a research paper with the possibility of presenting in a student panel at a professional conference next year. Additionally, students will receive a $300 honorarium upon satisfactory completion of the research paper.
Lastly, the economics club is sponsoring an ongoing reading and discussion group that meets twice a month on Thursdays during free period. The group is reading “Free to Choose” by Milton and Rose Friedman.
The Charles G. Koch Foundation was established in 1980 by Charles G. Koch. It supports the study of economic freedom through grant giving and support for professional education programs. It primarily supports research and higher education programs that analyze the impact of free societies.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards