Economics Department Receives Grant to Fund Spring Programs, Research Opportunities
The St. John Fisher College Economics Department is encouraging consideration and discussion about the role of free markets and individual liberty in society through a variety of activities this spring thanks to a grant from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation.
The department will host two guest speakers to lead discussions. On Tuesday, February 18, Lawrence W. Reed, President of the Foundation for Economic Education, will be giving a lecture about president Grover Cleveland in honor of President’s Day. His talk will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135. And on Tuesday, April 22 (which is also Earth Day), Dr. Bruce Yandle, Professor and Dean Emeritus of Clemson University, will speak about markets and the environment.
There is also a research opportunity for 2-3 students this semester. Under the supervision of a faculty member, the students will develop a research paper with the possibility of presenting in a student panel at a professional conference next year. Additionally, students will receive a $300 honorarium upon satisfactory completion of the research paper.
Lastly, the economics club is sponsoring an ongoing reading and discussion group that meets twice a month on Thursdays during free period. The group is reading “Free to Choose” by Milton and Rose Friedman.
The Charles G. Koch Foundation was established in 1980 by Charles G. Koch. It supports the study of economic freedom through grant giving and support for professional education programs. It primarily supports research and higher education programs that analyze the impact of free societies.
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest