Social Justice Fair to Showcase Student Collaborations
On Tuesday, December 6, students will be hosting the annual Social Justice Fair, which will feature poster presentations of their work on a wide range of diversity, social justice, and education topics. The fair will take place in Cleary Auditorium from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
The work was all done in Diversity and Social Justice classes taught by Dr. Jim Wood, Dr. Michelle Erklenz-Watts, and Dr. Jeff Liles, faculty in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education.
And for the first time in the history of the fair, high school students from Wilson Early College and International High School in Rochester will also be presenting posters. The College has a formal partnership with the school, whose mission is to provide “innovative educational opportunities that cultivate confident, college-immersed, globally competent citizens.” Several Fisher students partnered with the Rochester students and their teachers to research topics and create posters for the fair.
“One of the most pressing issues for humanity to confront are the persistent inequities that exist in all societies. At Fisher, aspiring teachers are consistently working to understand how to diminish these injustices,” said Wood. “We encourage students to see their future work with children as one part of a commitment to a whole community. Projects at the Social Justice Fair will reflect Fisher's aspiring teachers' efforts to begin a lifelong effort to achieve a more just society.”
Latest College News Stories
- Faculty Recognized for Grants
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight
- Fisher Makes “Best Colleges for Veterans” List
- Fisher Earns At-Large Bid to NCAA Championship
- College Dedicates Pellicano Pavilion