Are You Ready for Some Courage (and Football?)
An annual favorite, the Courage Bowl, is right around the corner. On Saturday, November 16, the St. John Fisher College Cardinals will take on the Alfred University Saxons at Growney Stadium at 1:00 p.m. And while the Cardinals will be fighting for another win during the final home game of the season, they will be fighting for so much more.
The Courage Bowl, coined “more than just a game,” raises money to benefit children and families of Camp Good Days and Special Times every year. The game was established in 2005 as the annual football game between the Fisher Cardinals and the University of Rochester Yellowjackets, to benefit the children and families served by Camp Good Days. Last year’s Courage Bowl was the final game in the series between the Cardinals and the Yellowjackets. And while the Cardinals will face Alfred University this year, they will play against The College at Brockport Golden Eagles in future games when the Golden Eagles join the Empire 8 Conference in 2014.
“Many children with cancer dream of being a part of a college football team, but due to their illness and treatment, will never have that opportunity,” says Mervis. “For the past eight years, some of the campers from Camp Good Days have had that chance, thanks to the Courage Bowl. In what has truly become so much more than just a football game, we are all looking forward to the next chapter of the Courage Bowl and being able to celebrate the courage and strength of all those dealing with cancer and being able to generate some much needed funds to create some good days and special times for some children and families.”
As part of the game, Camp Good Days will present the Fourth Annual Courage Award during the pre-game festivities. The Camp Good Days’ Courage Award is presented to someone who displays courage, strength, and determination in a time of great struggle.
The Teddi Committee—which organizes the Teddi Dance for Love, another annual favorite on campus— has additional activities planned for the game. They will host a mascot competition during half-time and a 24-minute mini dance marathon on the field at the end of the game. Just prior to the game, satisfy your taste buds with a Sticky Lips barbecue lunch. All proceeds from the lunch will benefit Camp Good Days. In addition, the committee will be selling raffle tickets for a car raffle that will take place at the Teddi Dance on February 21, 2014. Tickets are $20 each, or three for $50, and the grand prize is a grey 2014 LE Plus Corolla.
On November 13, Teddi will celebrate “100 Days Until Teddi” around campus. And throughout the month of November, the committee will hold free haircuts in the Campus Center to support the Pantene Beautiful Lengths hair donation.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement