Student Athletes Host Giant Read
For the third year in a row, St. John Fisher College student-athletes hosted the Giant Read, traveling to General Elwell S. Otis School No. 30 to read The Lion and the Little Red Bird by Elisa Kleven.
The annual event is part of the READ: Hope in Action Program that is designed to promote literacy in Rochester city schools. The program was started in 2007 at the Rochester Institute of Technology by Chandra McKenzie, RIT's Assistant Provost of Academic Affairs, and Lou Spiotti, Director of Athletics and Recreation.
The trip was organized by Fisher's Student Athlete Advisory Committee. In addition to reading the book, the Cardinals helped the children complete a reflection activity, discussed life as a student-athlete, and answered the first graders’ questions.
Matt Silvi, a member of the men's soccer team, reads during the Giant Read.
Women's soccer player Caitlin Cottone with one of the School No. 30 students.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”