11/12/13 - #FisherCares Day
We’ve seen the hashtag and remember the signs peppered throughout campus in the first weeks of the semester. And next Tuesday—11/12/13—efforts born out of a brainstorm among a small group of staff will take the campus by storm for the official #FisherCares Day.
The event will take place in the Campus Center from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., and several philanthropic activities will be underway throughout the day. The goal of the day is to bring awareness, and even some applause, to all of the ways that #FisherCares.
Stop by to create a holiday card for residents of the Friendly Home. Take a moment to write a letter to a soldier who won’t make it home for the holidays. Lend a hand tying fleece blankets for the Mount Hope Family Center. Spend 20 minutes of your day in an assembly line to help package comfort kits for the Rape Crisis Center. And, you even have a chance to make a toy for a shelter animal. Attendees can also help build a life-size “canstruction” of the #FisherCares logo out of donated canned goods.
Event organizers are also looking for donations to help each of the projects happening that day, and ask that people bring donations to the Campus Center during the event. They are specifically looking for:
- Non-perishable foods
- Gently used books
- New socks/underwear
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorants/body spray
- Lotion and soap
- Dog treats
- Clothing, specifically:
- Warm winter boots, size 8
- Warm winter coat size M for layering
- Turtleneck shirts/sweaters (size S/3 or 4)
- Jeans or corduroys (size S/1 or 2)
- Short sleeve t-shirts/shirts
- Lightweight long sleeve t-shirts/shirts
- Cotton or athletic shorts
- Athletic shorts
- Skirts (just above the knee or longer)
- Lightweight pants for males or females
Students With A Vision (SWAV) will be hosting a Volunteer Fair as part of the event as well. Several community organizations including Rochester Youth Year, Friendly Home, American Red Cross, and the Ronald McDonald House, along with student clubs, will have tables at the event where students, faculty, and staff can inquire about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference