Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
Michael Maguire ’07, who is currently an MD/MPH student at University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM), was recently honored by the American Medical Association (AMA) Foundation with the 2014 Leadership Award. He was one of 15 recipients, and accepted his award on June 6 at the Annual Excellence in Medicine Awards Celebration in Chicago.
This national award recognizes medical students, residents/fellows, and early career physicians for achievements in community service, medical education, and public health. Award recipients will receive special training to develop their skills as future leaders in community affairs and organized medicine.
Maguire, who was a Biology major, is a third-year medical student in the UMMSM’s combined four-year MD/MPH program. His interests include primary care, global health, health policy, medical education, and administration. Since his freshman year, he has worked with the World Health Organization as an intern and consultant, focusing primarily on malaria control programs and strengthening health systems. In addition, he is passionately involved in UMMSM's Department of Community Service and is responsible for developing a new student-run clinic partnership with Caridad Center, which cares for a largely uninsured, underserved immigrant population in Palm Beach County, Florida. He is also interested in curriculum reform and has contributed to the creation of multiple new fourth-year rotations at UMMSM, including an elective for Medical Education and a Public Health Clerkship that is now mandatory for MD/MPH students.
The Excellence in Medicine Award program is presented in association with Eli Lilly & Co., Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals, Inc., PhRMA, and Pfizer Inc.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades