Winter Break Britain-Style for Eight Fisher Students
While most students spent their winter break at home catching up with family and friends, or working to restore their bank accounts, eight St. John Fisher College Communication/Journalism students took the trip of a lifetime to London, England.
Approximately 77 students from St. John Fisher College, Monroe Community College, Niagara University, and Cayuga Community College left on January 3. Students Christy Valvano, Lauren Gala, Katie Chase, Jenna Huether, Nicholette Simonelli, Liz Morris, Krysta Lougheed, and Jeff Gerace took the trip, and Professor Tom Proietti accompanied them – his 23rd time on this trip!
The group spent two weeks there, and kicked off their visit with a guided tour of Windsor Castle. They went on a variety of media-focused guided tours, stopped at Stonehenge, and visited Bath and Greenwich. Most of their time was spent in the South Kensington area of London, a posh and multi-cultural region in one of the world’s most beautiful cities.
In addition, they experienced a day at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), and had the chance to watch a live showing of “Loose Women,” the British version of America’s “The View.” They also fit in the London Film Museum and the London Eye, which is the largest ferris wheel in the world.
During one of the group’s “free” days, they had the opportunity to experience the world famous high-speed EuroStar, traveling from London to Paris, France, for the day.
Three of the students were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton, as they passed by a red-carpet premiere for “War Horse.”
“Being part of this program was such a great experience, and will be another Fisher memory that will last a lifetime,” said Huether.
Nicholette Simonelli, Jeff Gerace, Lauren Gala, Christy Valvano, Jenna Huether, Tom Proietti, Katie Chase, and Liz Morris at Windsor Castle.
Students Nicholette Simonelli, Krysta Lougheed, Liz Morris, Jenna Huether, Katie Chase, Lauren Gala, and Christy Valvano get ready to visit the National Theater.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems