Community Benefits from 2013 Project Community Convergence
As the semester winds down and the pressure of finals week starts to creep closer, nearly 140 St. John Fisher College students decided to roll up their sleeves to volunteer for the 2013 Project Community Convergence (PCC), led by Students With A Vision (SWAV).
On Saturday, April 13, and Saturday, April 20, the students spent their days in five Rochester City Schools providing them with a makeover. Schools No. 2, 7, 10, 34, and Monroe High School were the lucky recipients of these efforts. At Monroe and School No. 2, the group organized classrooms and closets. And Schools No. 7, 10, and 34 received freshly painted classrooms. In addition, the volunteers stationed at School No. 34 spread mulch and cleaned up the grass around the school during the first weekend.
Brandie Rice, one of the co-coordinators of the event, has been working with the committee since the beginning of the school year to prepare and finalize all of the details leading up to PCC.
“I volunteered last year for PCC and loved being able to help the Rochester community, especially in the schools. I am an education major, which is why I was inspired to help plan and coordinate the event,” said Rice. “This entire event depends on the volunteers who willingly give their time to the Rochester community and we had very flexible and cooperative volunteers!”
Additional event support was provided by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, Resident Student Association, Commuter Council, Student Government Association, and the Teacher Education Student Association.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes