America Seen Photography Lecture Set for April 11
St. John Fisher College's American Studies Department will host the 5th Annual America Seen Photography Lecture, featuring photographer and urban planner, Sandy Sorlien on Thursday, April 11. The lecture begins at 7:30 p.m. and will take place in Basil 135.
Sorlien will discuss two distinct but related bodies of work. Her documentary art series, “The Heart of Town,” visits distressed and evolving 21st century Main Streets. In 2011, she launched the “Transect Collection,” an online photographic resource. These images analyze the frontages of walkable places according to the rural-to-urban Transect, a New Urbanist planning framework. After a career in photographic education, Sorlien has worked as a Transect zoning code writer since 2004. She now combines these experiences to look at our urban centers and small towns as models for a more resilient future.
The lecture is free and open to the public.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice