Student Employees of the Year Recognized
On Tuesday, April 15, Christiana “Bella” Knapp, Katie Swingly, and Sean Mullen received the Mary Ellen Milne Student Employee of the Year Award during a luncheon to recognize all of the nominated students.
The award is given to students who successfully complete assigned tasks, produce quality work, are dependable and knowledgeable of their jobs, work independently, and have exceptional communication skills.
Knapp was nominated by Elizabeth Dorscheid and Maherly Schaeffer for her work in the Office of Alumni Relations and Institutional Advancement. She was recognized thanks to her work on the department’s social media presence, and for her efforts on several new initiatives. Most notably was her work on the College’s involvement in the United Way’s “ROC the Day” program. Knapp took the lead on creating a plan to promote Fisher’s involvement, which resulted in several gifts to the Fisher Fund made by alumni and friends of the College. Her nominators said if it weren’t for her persistency, Fisher would not have been a part of the program.
Mullen works in the Events and Conferencing Department as an Event Office Assistant and Poster & Sign Studio Assistant, and was nominated by Steve Salluzzo. His enthusiasm, moral character, and work ethic were applauded in his nomination, and Salluzzo also praised his professionalism and reliability. Mullen has worked with both external and internal clients of the department, and Salluzzo called him an “integral part of the team.” His problem-solving skills and persistency to see projects through and improve processes as he goes were also noted in the nomination.
Swingly was nominated by Michelle Price in Lavery Library. Price has assigned Swingly to work directly with visiting scholars, and mentioned Swingly’s appreciation for the need for proper treatment and arrangement of the special collections materials at the library. Swingly has also assisted on a grant project working with the library’s outside consultant. After graduating, Swingly plans to pursue her Master's in Library Science, and has been accepted to the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University and the Department of Library Information Studies at the University of New York at Buffalo.
During the luncheon, 10 students received Honorable Mention:
- Candace Benjamin (Foreign Study/Modern Languages Department) - nominated by Dr. Kathleen Costello
- Rebecca Campbell (Athletics) - nominated by Paul Vosburgh
- Jenna Curtis (Lavery Library) - nominated by Stacy Celata
- Mackenzie Frazier (Safety and Security) - nominated by John Maloney
- Jennifer Plotzker (Registrar) - nominated by Mary Schild
- Jacob Quattrini (Physics Department) - nominated by Dr. Krsna Dev
- Alicia Vann (Biology Department) - nominated by Jennifer Gantress
- Alexis Verone (School of Business) - nominated by Lori Hollenbeck
- Quintell White (Multicultural Affairs/Diversity Programs) - nominated by Yantee Slobert
- Alexis Zakala (Wegmans School of Nursing) - nominated by Carolyn Martin
The winners were chosen by a committee of faculty and staff.
Mary Ellen Milne began working in the Counseling Center at Fisher in 1980, and worked there until she passed away in 1997. With this award, Fisher honors her memory and recognizes students for their selflessness, devotion, and drive – characteristics that Milne herself displayed.
Mullen, Knapp, Dr. Rick DeJesús-Rueff, President Bain, and Swingly.
The 2014 Mary Ellen Milne Award nominees.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program