From the Career Center: Getting a Jumpstart on Internship Experience
As your student finishes freshman year, it is not too early to start thinking about and making summer plans. Internships and other meaningful summer experiences can complement your student’s academic studies and assist in clarifying their career goals.
According to a recent survey conducted by the National Association of College Employers (NACE), employers expect to increase internship hiring by 2.7 percent. Additionally, employers who were surveyed in 2013 by NACE reported that 56.5 percent of students who completed an internship were offered a full-time position by the employer.
What your student does outside of the classroom matters. Internships, part-time jobs, service-learning, volunteering, study abroad, research, and student activities will all have an impact on your student’s next steps after Fisher.
“The more relevant experience a student can gain through a summer internship or part-time work, the better,” said Matt Cardin, Director, St. John Fisher College Career Center. “They can develop skill sets that complement their academic studies, making them competitive candidates in the job market, and separating them from their peers.”
Cardin encourages you to support your student’s career development by urging them to think about their interests and the kind of work they may want to pursue after graduating.
Here are some ways you can approach the topic with your student:
-Assist your student in thinking creatively about their summer options and the ways they might benefit from an internship or part-time position in their future field.
-Help them research and make a list of possible employers. Encourage them to reach out and inquire about summer opportunities – paid or unpaid.
-Connect your student with friends, family, and neighbors who might help them network for summer opportunities.
-Encourage them to utilize the resources available to them as a member of the Fisher community, which include the Career Center, faculty, staff, and alumni.
The Career Center works closely with students throughout the year, offering one-on-one consultation as well as career workshops and fairs. Upcoming workshops include: Rochester Area Career Expo, Internships Workshop, Getting the Most From a Career Fair, and a Spring Career and Internship Fair.
The Career Center is located on the ground floor of Lavery Library, Room 104, and can be reached at 585-385-8050 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation