Nursing Course Mixes Service-Learning with Patients and Alternative Therapies
Students in Dr. Natalie Masco’s Complementary and Alternative Therapies course recently partnered with Mercy Community Services to link patients with alternative therapies and resources. This is the second semester the Wegmans School of Nursing has partnered with Mercy Community Services through service-learning.
Masco said the course provides an introduction to complementary and alternative modalities (CAM) which promote health and wellness. Students explored therapies including yoga, medication, aromatherapy, and acupuncture.
The service-learning aspect is an optional course component, and four students jumped on board. Andrea Longchamps, Gena McMahon, Maddy Anthony, and Jordyn Billings spent their semester helping to meet the educational needs of the patients and providers of Mercy, investigating massage, chiropractic care, hydrotherapy, and acupressure. As part of their work, the students conducted interviews with CAM practitioners, reviewed the literature and wrote research papers, and created patient-friendly brochures on the use of each modality. The semester ended with a presentation and demonstrations for staff, volunteer providers, and patients of the center.
The students applied for and received a Civic Engagement Grant from the College’s Center for Community Engagement, which they used to expand a lending library started last semester full of CAM books and supplies. As a result, essential massage oils and many new educational books are now in the library.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference