Biology Faculty Named National Academies Education Fellows for 2011-2012
St. John Fisher College Biology faculty members Dr. Noveera Ahmed, Assistant Professor, and Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor, were named National Academies Education Fellows in the Life Sciences for the 2011-2012 academic year. They received the honor as a result of their selection to the 2011 National Academies Summer Institute on Undergraduate Education in Biology, which was held in August at Yale University.
The Summer Institute brought together teams from 12 research colleges and universities from across the Northeast for five days of presentations, discussions, intensive group work, and other activities. The work was all focused on enhancing undergraduate education, centered on key themes including active learning, assessment, and diversity. Department chairs, administrators, professors, academic coordinators, lecturers, instructors, preceptors, and postdoctoral scholars participated.
The teams worked together to develop material that they agreed to implement in a course during the upcoming academic year. Each team also pledged to apply a mentoring seminar designed to enhance the ability of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and others who mentor undergraduates.
Latest College News Stories
- Community Service Efforts Land Fisher on President’s Honor Roll
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family