Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner
On Thursday, April 3, the St. John Fisher College School of Business Investment Club hosted its fifth annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner, featuring keynote speaker Anton Schutz, founding President and CIO of Mendon Capital Advisors Corp.
During the dinner, students also presented a detailed report on the club’s activities and investment portfolio for the 2013-14 academic year and revealed the winners of a separate stock-picking contest.
In his presentation, Schutz encouraged students to always conduct their own research to ensure that they have a comprehensive understanding of any information they are using when it comes to making investment decisions. In addition, he asked the students to consider reinvesting in financial funds as part of their portfolio. Lastly, he reminded them that being successful is measured not only by net worth, but for him, also by the quality of life that his career Rochester has afforded him.
Club President, Robert Nash, was very pleased with the turnout and support at this year’s event.
“The shareholder's dinner this year was the best one I’ve attended. Our portfolio achieved record returns enabling us to share our decision-making process and strategies used this year,” he said.
Bob Fischer, President of Fischer Investment Group and underwriter of the award, issued certificates to the three winners of the club’s stock-picking contest. The winners, who are all freshmen, included: Adam Moran, Finance, who placed first; Stephen McCann, Accounting, in second place; and in third place, John Friedel, Undeclared.
The Student Investment Club was established in 2009, and gives students the opportunity to gain real-world experience managing a small portfolio and making investment decisions. The club offers undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to increase their financial literacy and participate in investment portfolio management with an endowment. This year, the club invited guest speakers from the investment field to attend meetings; traveled to New York City where they visited financial landmarks including the New York Stock Exchange, Cantor Fitzgerald, and the Quinnipiac GAME Forum; and actively managed an endowment of approximately $43,000.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes