College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
St. John Fisher College has received a $40,000 grant from the First Niagara Foundation that will help fund the continuation of a mentoring initiative started in 2012 between the College and the World of Inquiry School No. 58.
The First Niagara Foundation announced a donation of $1.0 million across its regional footprint to fund 33 community-based recipient organizations, which will directly support more than 45,000 youth participants in proven mentoring programs. St. John Fisher College was one of three recipients in the Rochester region.
The College’s grant project serves seventh and eighth grade students and their teachers, and provides a mentoring/tutoring enrichment program, professional development opportunities, and a summer literacy clinic.
Recipients were chosen based on their program’s design to help close the achievement gap, help children improve school attendance and performance, prevent substance abuse and behavioral problems, and give at-risk youth a chance to reach their potential, whether it be in college or the work place.
Since the program's inception in 2007, First Niagara has provided more than $5.25 million in financial support for mentoring programs in all of the communities it serves.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students