Nursing Adjunct Faculty Receive “DAISY Award” from Strong
Two Wegmans School of Nursing adjunct faculty members recently received the DAISY Award from Strong Memorial Hospital, recognizing them for their extraordinary clinical skill and compassionate care. Megan Finch is the current DAISY Award honoree, and Dan Sokac ’08, RN, BSN, was the previous quarter’s honoree. Both are clinical adjuncts at Fisher.
Finch works on the Medical Intensive Care Unit at Strong, and she is currently enrolled in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program.
“Being a nurse is an honor. You get to walk patients and families through the worst moments in their lives and help make the experience more bearable. I tell my students all the time that being a nurse changes you; it makes you stronger, and teaches you humility. It’s a one-of-a-kind job,” she said.
Sokac has been working at Strong in the Burn/Trauma ICU since graduating from Fisher. He was touched by the honor after learning about its history.
“Many staff members go out of their way each day for their patients, and I feel very humbled to be recognized. I am privileged to work in a great unit with lots of teamwork,” said Sokac.
The DAISY Foundation was established in 2000 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died at the age of 33 due to complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP); DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system. The Barnes family was struck by the care and compassion provided by the nurses, and wanted to do something to recognize nurses everywhere who “make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.” Strong Memorial Hospital is one of the foundation’s partners, and recognizes one nurse every month or quarter.
Honorees are recognized at a public ceremony in her/his unit and receive a certificate, an award pin, and a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled “A Healer’s Touch.”
Latest College News Stories
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners