Students, Faculty to Present at Rochester Academy of Science Paper Session Saturday on Campus
On Saturday, November 10, the Rochester Academy of Science will hold its 39th Annual Fall Scientific Paper Session on campus, and several Fisher faculty and students will be poster session presenters and featured speakers.
The Biology Department and the School of Arts and Sciences will host the session and public lecture. Dr. Nicholas Calderone, Cornell University, will serve as the guest lecturer and will present, "The Health of Honey Bees - Why Should You Care?" at 1:30 p.m. in Cleary Auditorium. Calderone conducts research and teaches in Cornell’s Department of Entomology. His primary responsibilities include studying honey bees and developing programs to solve problems that face the beekeeping industry. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Fisher faculty and student presentations will include:
- “A Partnership Between College and High School Students to Monitor Levels of Nutrients in Buckland Creek” – Dr. Kimberly Chichester, Dr. Kristina Lantzky, Dr. Lynn Donahue, and Dr. Irene Kimaru
- “Plant DNA Barcoding as an Experiential College Laboratory” – Dr. Mike Boller
- “Isolation and Identification of Antibiotic Resistance in Bacterial Samples from Lake Ontario” –Aaron Spacher (student), Dr. Maryann Herman
Fisher faculty and students presenting posters include:
- “Synthesis and Characterization of a Series of New Peptide-Based Chiral Ionic Liquids” – Dr. Irene Kimaru
- “Validation of a Raman Spectroscopy Method for Quantitative Analysis of Pharmaceutical Compounds” – Dr. Kimberly Chichester
- “Exploration of Novel Phosphorus(III) Complexes of 2-Hydroxopyridine N-Oxide” – Amber Wiltse (student), Dr. Brad Kraft
- “Arctigenin Improves Glucose Tolerance in a Strain of Mighty Mice” – Mohammad Husain Bawany (student), Dr. Kathleen Savage
- “Effects of BPA on Steroid Hormone Receptor MRNA’s in Zebrafish” – Lindsay Sturnick (student), Dr. Edward Freeman
- “Bacterial Isolation from the Genesee River and Characterization of Antibiotic Resistance” – Sarah Bowen (student), Dr. Maryann Herman
Biology Department faculty Drs. Maryann Herman, Mike Boller, Noveera Ahmed, and Greg Cunningham served as conference co-chairs. Funding was provided by the School of Arts and Sciences and the Provost. For a complete event schedule, stop by registration Saturday morning between 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy atrium.
The Rochester Academy of Science, Inc. has been promoting interest in the natural sciences since 1881, with special focus on the Western New York State region.
Latest College News Stories
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight
- Fisher Makes “Best Colleges for Veterans” List
- Fisher Earns At-Large Bid to NCAA Championship
- College Dedicates Pellicano Pavilion
- Beta Gamma Sigma Co-Liaison Attends Student Leadership Forum