Sustained Dialogue Executive Director Wins “Characters Unite Award”
Sustained Dialogue, a student organization at St. John Fisher College, is an organization that helps students make time to understand the different perspectives of their peers. The philosophy of the group is that engaging in conversations with those who may be different from you enables you to interact comfortably with all kinds of people, and helps build relationships across community divides.
The group is part of the Sustained Dialogue Campus Network (SDCN), a national network promoting student dialogue. The organization’s executive director, Amy Lazarus, was recently selected for the USA Network’s “Characters Unite Award.” She was one of eight winners, selected from hundreds of applicants.
As part of its “Characters Unite” community affairs campaign to combat social injustices and bridge cultural divides, USA Network created the “Characters Unite Awards” to recognize extraordinary individuals who have made significant efforts to fight prejudice and discrimination, while increasing tolerance, respect, and acceptance.
The winners will each receive a $5,000 grant from USA Network and its Multichannel Video Programming Distributor (MVPD) partners to donate to their organization. The winners were chosen from online nominations that were open to the public.
“We see this award as recognition of all the great work being done by students across the country, including here at St. John Fisher College,” said Mariah Helgeson, Sustained Dialogue member.
The Fisher chapter of Sustained Dialogue was founded in 2006. This year, there are 10-15 students who regularly participate in weekly dialogues. The chapter has three student dialogue moderators, who attended a workshop in October led by SDCN Program Directors to learn facilitation skills. The group launched an "I am" campaign to address the recent increase in collegiate-level bullying and encourage students on campus to affirm their identities. In 2009, they took on issues of campus safety, domestic violence, and worked to clarify campus policies.
Latest College News Stories
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member