Fifth Annual Mock Interview Night
The Career Center and Biology Department hosted the annual Mock Interview Night for Biology majors on Tuesday, November 16. This event, now in its fifth year, provides students from Dr. Ed Freeman’s Junior Seminar Biology course with a realistic interview experience from professionals in career fields specified by students. Laurie Valentino, Assistant Director of the Career Center, has been collaborating with Dr. Freeman on this event.
A total of 51 Fisher students went through a mock interview with a total of 22 different professionals. They were from a variety of specialties in the healthcare field including medicine, pharmacy, and speech pathology, as well as graduate education and hospital administration.
Interviewers for this event always include faculty and community contacts, as well as alumni. This year, the alumni interviewers were Dr. Kevin Wynne (’88), Dr. Lawrence Schweichler (’79), Dr. Marie Lynd-Murphy (’79), Jeffery Reed (’09), Brian Riesenberger (’07) and Bryan O’Donovan (’08). Some of their observations were that the students were “very articulate” and “very well qualified.”
The Mock Interview Night was recently recognized in the April 2010 issue of NACE Journal (National Association of Colleges and Employers.) Within the paper, Dr. Freeman and Laurie Valentino discussed the tremendous benefits of the collaboration between the Biology department and the Career Center and the invaluable experience it has provided for students. The event has also helped to create contacts in professional and medical fields, which students have utilized to gain shadowing experiences and networking opportunities as they determine their career paths.
Latest College News Stories
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference