Fifth Annual Mock Interview Night
The Career Center and Biology Department hosted the annual Mock Interview Night for Biology majors on Tuesday, November 16. This event, now in its fifth year, provides students from Dr. Ed Freeman’s Junior Seminar Biology course with a realistic interview experience from professionals in career fields specified by students. Laurie Valentino, Assistant Director of the Career Center, has been collaborating with Dr. Freeman on this event.
A total of 51 Fisher students went through a mock interview with a total of 22 different professionals. They were from a variety of specialties in the healthcare field including medicine, pharmacy, and speech pathology, as well as graduate education and hospital administration.
Interviewers for this event always include faculty and community contacts, as well as alumni. This year, the alumni interviewers were Dr. Kevin Wynne (’88), Dr. Lawrence Schweichler (’79), Dr. Marie Lynd-Murphy (’79), Jeffery Reed (’09), Brian Riesenberger (’07) and Bryan O’Donovan (’08). Some of their observations were that the students were “very articulate” and “very well qualified.”
The Mock Interview Night was recently recognized in the April 2010 issue of NACE Journal (National Association of Colleges and Employers.) Within the paper, Dr. Freeman and Laurie Valentino discussed the tremendous benefits of the collaboration between the Biology department and the Career Center and the invaluable experience it has provided for students. The event has also helped to create contacts in professional and medical fields, which students have utilized to gain shadowing experiences and networking opportunities as they determine their career paths.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference