Students Participate in Annual Mathematical Competition
On December 4, three Fisher students – Alex Olbrych, Greg Search, and Forrest Smith – participated in the 71st annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.
This is a prestigious competitive exam, taken by approximately 4,000 of the best college mathematics students in North America. Students are tested on their insight, creativity, problem solving, and ability to write proofs. The students were coached by Dan Cass and Barney Ricca of the Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences.
The top teams in 2009 included the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Results of this year’s competition will be announced in April of 2011.
The competition is administered by the Mathematical Association of America, and began in 1938 to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. William Lowell Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882, had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. His widow, Elizabeth Lowell Putnam, created a trust fund in 1927 to support such competitions.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open