Students Participate in Annual Mathematical Competition
On December 4, three Fisher students – Alex Olbrych, Greg Search, and Forrest Smith – participated in the 71st annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.
This is a prestigious competitive exam, taken by approximately 4,000 of the best college mathematics students in North America. Students are tested on their insight, creativity, problem solving, and ability to write proofs. The students were coached by Dan Cass and Barney Ricca of the Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences.
The top teams in 2009 included the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Results of this year’s competition will be announced in April of 2011.
The competition is administered by the Mathematical Association of America, and began in 1938 to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. William Lowell Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882, had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. His widow, Elizabeth Lowell Putnam, created a trust fund in 1927 to support such competitions.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program