Students Participate in Annual Mathematical Competition
On December 4, three Fisher students – Alex Olbrych, Greg Search, and Forrest Smith – participated in the 71st annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.
This is a prestigious competitive exam, taken by approximately 4,000 of the best college mathematics students in North America. Students are tested on their insight, creativity, problem solving, and ability to write proofs. The students were coached by Dan Cass and Barney Ricca of the Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences.
The top teams in 2009 included the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Results of this year’s competition will be announced in April of 2011.
The competition is administered by the Mathematical Association of America, and began in 1938 to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. William Lowell Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882, had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. His widow, Elizabeth Lowell Putnam, created a trust fund in 1927 to support such competitions.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International