Students Participate in Annual Mathematical Competition
On December 4, three Fisher students – Alex Olbrych, Greg Search, and Forrest Smith – participated in the 71st annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.
This is a prestigious competitive exam, taken by approximately 4,000 of the best college mathematics students in North America. Students are tested on their insight, creativity, problem solving, and ability to write proofs. The students were coached by Dan Cass and Barney Ricca of the Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences.
The top teams in 2009 included the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Results of this year’s competition will be announced in April of 2011.
The competition is administered by the Mathematical Association of America, and began in 1938 to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. William Lowell Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882, had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. His widow, Elizabeth Lowell Putnam, created a trust fund in 1927 to support such competitions.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement