Students Participate in Annual Mathematical Competition
On December 4, three Fisher students – Alex Olbrych, Greg Search, and Forrest Smith – participated in the 71st annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.
This is a prestigious competitive exam, taken by approximately 4,000 of the best college mathematics students in North America. Students are tested on their insight, creativity, problem solving, and ability to write proofs. The students were coached by Dan Cass and Barney Ricca of the Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences.
The top teams in 2009 included the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Results of this year’s competition will be announced in April of 2011.
The competition is administered by the Mathematical Association of America, and began in 1938 to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. William Lowell Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882, had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. His widow, Elizabeth Lowell Putnam, created a trust fund in 1927 to support such competitions.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans