Annual Social Justice Fair Scheduled for December 7
The annual Social Justice Fair will take place on Tuesday, December 7, from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. The event, which has been held for close to 10 years, features interactive and informative student presentations centered around social justice issues.
The event, formerly called the Diversity Fair, also provides valuable ideas for service learning, community engagement, and teaching and learning. Some of this year’s presentation topics include; Challenges Faced by Clients of Homeless Shelters, The Advantages to All Students in Pre-Schools That Accept All Children Regardless of Abilities/Handicapping Conditions, The Benefits of Multicultural Secondary Math Curricula, Combating Bias in Children’s Literature, Using Electronic Literacy to Raise Low Achieving Students’ Literacy, Strategies to Support Dropouts’ Continued Learning, Strategies for Running a High Quality After School Program for At-Risk Students, and The Dangers of the Lack of Access to Adequate Food Sources in Urban Areas.
“The Social Justice Fair at Fisher has expanded recently to showcase the work of education candidates and other service learning students who work closely with Greater Rochester Area human service providers,” said Dr. Jim Wood, associate professor of education. “Some recent examples of collaborative partners include CP Rochester, St. John’s Home, Bethany House, Volunteers of America, Aids Care, South Wedge Market, and many more. The poster sessions displayed and explained at the Social Justice Fair demonstrate group and individual research, describe direct client support, and detail the capacity- building projects that are left with the agencies to enhance client outcomes.”
Presentations will be made from students taking the following service-learning courses: Diversity in American Society; Diversity, Social Justice and Schooling; and Social Change Through Service.
The fair will take place in Cleary Family Auditorium. Light refreshments will be served.
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest