Annual Social Justice Fair Scheduled for December 7
The annual Social Justice Fair will take place on Tuesday, December 7, from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. The event, which has been held for close to 10 years, features interactive and informative student presentations centered around social justice issues.
The event, formerly called the Diversity Fair, also provides valuable ideas for service learning, community engagement, and teaching and learning. Some of this year’s presentation topics include; Challenges Faced by Clients of Homeless Shelters, The Advantages to All Students in Pre-Schools That Accept All Children Regardless of Abilities/Handicapping Conditions, The Benefits of Multicultural Secondary Math Curricula, Combating Bias in Children’s Literature, Using Electronic Literacy to Raise Low Achieving Students’ Literacy, Strategies to Support Dropouts’ Continued Learning, Strategies for Running a High Quality After School Program for At-Risk Students, and The Dangers of the Lack of Access to Adequate Food Sources in Urban Areas.
“The Social Justice Fair at Fisher has expanded recently to showcase the work of education candidates and other service learning students who work closely with Greater Rochester Area human service providers,” said Dr. Jim Wood, associate professor of education. “Some recent examples of collaborative partners include CP Rochester, St. John’s Home, Bethany House, Volunteers of America, Aids Care, South Wedge Market, and many more. The poster sessions displayed and explained at the Social Justice Fair demonstrate group and individual research, describe direct client support, and detail the capacity- building projects that are left with the agencies to enhance client outcomes.”
Presentations will be made from students taking the following service-learning courses: Diversity in American Society; Diversity, Social Justice and Schooling; and Social Change Through Service.
The fair will take place in Cleary Family Auditorium. Light refreshments will be served.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program