Knitting Love and Warmth
For two years now, a group of faculty and staff of St. John Fisher College have been meeting once a month with baskets of yarn and warm fingers.
It started out as a small group, meeting at each other’s homes on occasion to knit and crochet under the guidance of Dr. Tam Spitzer, Emerita Professor of Psychology. But it has since turned into a larger group, and they call themselves the Fisher Yarn Circle.
This year, they took on a service project for the Anthony Jordan Health Center, where Dr. Asim Abu-Baker, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, has a practice site. It is also a practice site for the Wegmans School of Nursing. They collaborated with the Calvary St. Andrew’s Shawl Ministry.
The group heard about the need for baby blankets at the center, as well as other items including hats and scarves. And before Thanksgiving, they created and donated a total of 83 items to the center to distribute to families in need.
The Anthony Jordan Health Center offers a variety of services to Rochester families including: adolescent medicine; dentistry; eye care and treatment; family medicine; foot care; HIV prevention and primary care; obstetrics/gynecology; pediatrics; pharmacy; and women, infants and children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative