Knitting Love and Warmth
For two years now, a group of faculty and staff of St. John Fisher College have been meeting once a month with baskets of yarn and warm fingers.
It started out as a small group, meeting at each other’s homes on occasion to knit and crochet under the guidance of Dr. Tam Spitzer, Emerita Professor of Psychology. But it has since turned into a larger group, and they call themselves the Fisher Yarn Circle.
This year, they took on a service project for the Anthony Jordan Health Center, where Dr. Asim Abu-Baker, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, has a practice site. It is also a practice site for the Wegmans School of Nursing. They collaborated with the Calvary St. Andrew’s Shawl Ministry.
The group heard about the need for baby blankets at the center, as well as other items including hats and scarves. And before Thanksgiving, they created and donated a total of 83 items to the center to distribute to families in need.
The Anthony Jordan Health Center offers a variety of services to Rochester families including: adolescent medicine; dentistry; eye care and treatment; family medicine; foot care; HIV prevention and primary care; obstetrics/gynecology; pediatrics; pharmacy; and women, infants and children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
Latest College News Stories
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day