Knitting Love and Warmth
For two years now, a group of faculty and staff of St. John Fisher College have been meeting once a month with baskets of yarn and warm fingers.
It started out as a small group, meeting at each other’s homes on occasion to knit and crochet under the guidance of Dr. Tam Spitzer, Emerita Professor of Psychology. But it has since turned into a larger group, and they call themselves the Fisher Yarn Circle.
This year, they took on a service project for the Anthony Jordan Health Center, where Dr. Asim Abu-Baker, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, has a practice site. It is also a practice site for the Wegmans School of Nursing. They collaborated with the Calvary St. Andrew’s Shawl Ministry.
The group heard about the need for baby blankets at the center, as well as other items including hats and scarves. And before Thanksgiving, they created and donated a total of 83 items to the center to distribute to families in need.
The Anthony Jordan Health Center offers a variety of services to Rochester families including: adolescent medicine; dentistry; eye care and treatment; family medicine; foot care; HIV prevention and primary care; obstetrics/gynecology; pediatrics; pharmacy; and women, infants and children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
Latest College News Stories
- Education Professor Elected to Board of American Council for Rural Special Education
- Relay Unites Campus in Fight Against Cancer
- Legal Studies Program Honors Dr. Bain
- Student Entrepreneurs Present Ideas at Business Plan Competition
- Student Work Featured on Local Radio Station
- Alumni of Color Dinner Celebrates Seniors
- PCC Volunteer Program Celebrates 10 Years
- Investment Club Earns First Place Finish in Adirondack Cup Challenge
- SGA Honors Students, Faculty, Staff during Awards Ceremony
- Boev’s Research on Nurse-Physician Collaboration Featured in Publications
- Education Alum Named to Editorial Board of Lower Hudson Newspaper
- Nursing Student Attends Health Policy Conference
- Education Alumna Honored by National Organization
- Undergrads Present at Literature and Composition Conference
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized during Reception