Knitting Love and Warmth
For two years now, a group of faculty and staff of St. John Fisher College have been meeting once a month with baskets of yarn and warm fingers.
It started out as a small group, meeting at each other’s homes on occasion to knit and crochet under the guidance of Dr. Tam Spitzer, Emerita Professor of Psychology. But it has since turned into a larger group, and they call themselves the Fisher Yarn Circle.
This year, they took on a service project for the Anthony Jordan Health Center, where Dr. Asim Abu-Baker, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, has a practice site. It is also a practice site for the Wegmans School of Nursing. They collaborated with the Calvary St. Andrew’s Shawl Ministry.
The group heard about the need for baby blankets at the center, as well as other items including hats and scarves. And before Thanksgiving, they created and donated a total of 83 items to the center to distribute to families in need.
The Anthony Jordan Health Center offers a variety of services to Rochester families including: adolescent medicine; dentistry; eye care and treatment; family medicine; foot care; HIV prevention and primary care; obstetrics/gynecology; pediatrics; pharmacy; and women, infants and children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
Latest College News Stories
- Salerno Visits Graduate Class
- O'Connor Ermi Surpasses 100 Career Wins
- Education Students Benefit from Partnership with Greece School District
- Fisher Ranks 6th for Best College Campus in New York State
- Recent Biology Graduates to Publish Work
- Green Speaks at Joint Mathematics Meetings
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo