Knitting Love and Warmth
For two years now, a group of faculty and staff of St. John Fisher College have been meeting once a month with baskets of yarn and warm fingers.
It started out as a small group, meeting at each other’s homes on occasion to knit and crochet under the guidance of Dr. Tam Spitzer, Emerita Professor of Psychology. But it has since turned into a larger group, and they call themselves the Fisher Yarn Circle.
This year, they took on a service project for the Anthony Jordan Health Center, where Dr. Asim Abu-Baker, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, has a practice site. It is also a practice site for the Wegmans School of Nursing. They collaborated with the Calvary St. Andrew’s Shawl Ministry.
The group heard about the need for baby blankets at the center, as well as other items including hats and scarves. And before Thanksgiving, they created and donated a total of 83 items to the center to distribute to families in need.
The Anthony Jordan Health Center offers a variety of services to Rochester families including: adolescent medicine; dentistry; eye care and treatment; family medicine; foot care; HIV prevention and primary care; obstetrics/gynecology; pediatrics; pharmacy; and women, infants and children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”