Member of Fisher’s First Graduating Class and Local Media Figure Publishes Book
John “Jack” Palvino, member of St. John Fisher College’s first graduating class in 1955 and one of Rochester’s best-known media figures, has published his first book. On The Air will be available for purchase next week, and Palvino will be at Fisher’s bookstore for a book signing on Saturday, December 11, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. In addition, he is offering the book to current students at a discounted price.
On The Air covers Palvino’s legendary 40-year career in broadcasting. He was one of the area’s dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert “Bud” Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, WHRR in Rochester, WBUF in Buffalo, and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
“Palvino’s observations, insights, and anecdotes are must reading for anyone seeking perspectives on a by-gone era of radio, or who lived through it all and fondly remembers ‘Smilin’ Jack on The Bee,’” said Dr. Jim Seward, communication/journalism associate professor.
Palvino is officially retired, but remains active in Fisher’s Communication/Journalism Department. In 1999, the College honored Palvino for his contributions to the College by creating the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame.
He has been a trustee of the College since 1985, and was the first alumnus to be voted Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995).
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest