Member of Fisher’s First Graduating Class and Local Media Figure Publishes Book
John “Jack” Palvino, member of St. John Fisher College’s first graduating class in 1955 and one of Rochester’s best-known media figures, has published his first book. On The Air will be available for purchase next week, and Palvino will be at Fisher’s bookstore for a book signing on Saturday, December 11, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. In addition, he is offering the book to current students at a discounted price.
On The Air covers Palvino’s legendary 40-year career in broadcasting. He was one of the area’s dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert “Bud” Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, WHRR in Rochester, WBUF in Buffalo, and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
“Palvino’s observations, insights, and anecdotes are must reading for anyone seeking perspectives on a by-gone era of radio, or who lived through it all and fondly remembers ‘Smilin’ Jack on The Bee,’” said Dr. Jim Seward, communication/journalism associate professor.
Palvino is officially retired, but remains active in Fisher’s Communication/Journalism Department. In 1999, the College honored Palvino for his contributions to the College by creating the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame.
He has been a trustee of the College since 1985, and was the first alumnus to be voted Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995).
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain