Member of Fisher’s First Graduating Class and Local Media Figure Publishes Book
John “Jack” Palvino, member of St. John Fisher College’s first graduating class in 1955 and one of Rochester’s best-known media figures, has published his first book. On The Air will be available for purchase next week, and Palvino will be at Fisher’s bookstore for a book signing on Saturday, December 11, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. In addition, he is offering the book to current students at a discounted price.
On The Air covers Palvino’s legendary 40-year career in broadcasting. He was one of the area’s dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert “Bud” Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, WHRR in Rochester, WBUF in Buffalo, and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
“Palvino’s observations, insights, and anecdotes are must reading for anyone seeking perspectives on a by-gone era of radio, or who lived through it all and fondly remembers ‘Smilin’ Jack on The Bee,’” said Dr. Jim Seward, communication/journalism associate professor.
Palvino is officially retired, but remains active in Fisher’s Communication/Journalism Department. In 1999, the College honored Palvino for his contributions to the College by creating the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame.
He has been a trustee of the College since 1985, and was the first alumnus to be voted Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995).
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair