Member of Fisher’s First Graduating Class and Local Media Figure Publishes Book
John “Jack” Palvino, member of St. John Fisher College’s first graduating class in 1955 and one of Rochester’s best-known media figures, has published his first book. On The Air will be available for purchase next week, and Palvino will be at Fisher’s bookstore for a book signing on Saturday, December 11, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. In addition, he is offering the book to current students at a discounted price.
On The Air covers Palvino’s legendary 40-year career in broadcasting. He was one of the area’s dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert “Bud” Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, WHRR in Rochester, WBUF in Buffalo, and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
“Palvino’s observations, insights, and anecdotes are must reading for anyone seeking perspectives on a by-gone era of radio, or who lived through it all and fondly remembers ‘Smilin’ Jack on The Bee,’” said Dr. Jim Seward, communication/journalism associate professor.
Palvino is officially retired, but remains active in Fisher’s Communication/Journalism Department. In 1999, the College honored Palvino for his contributions to the College by creating the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame.
He has been a trustee of the College since 1985, and was the first alumnus to be voted Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995).
Latest College News Stories
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course