13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
There was plenty of “Hope in Hollywood” during the 13th Annual Relay for Life on Friday, April 11, when hundreds of students, faculty, staff, and community members showed up dressed as their favorite Hollywood actors and costumed to resemble their favorite movie. The College’s student organization, “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC), along with the American Cancer Society (ACS), hosted the inspirational 12-hour event to celebrate and honor all those who have been affected by cancer.
Between the Fisher Relay and the Relay for Life held at Nazareth College, the two schools raised over $33,000, beating last year’s total. All proceeds will benefit the American Cancer Society.
Event co-chairs Catherine Fafone and Katie Augustine kicked off the event by welcoming the participants and thanking them for their dedication to both the event and the cause. Dr. Donald Bain, President of the College, applauded the students for their efforts before the event began. And one brave student, Lindsey Kocher, volunteered to shave her head live during the event.
Remarks during the “Celebrate” ceremony were delivered by Marisa Iacobelli ’16, a cancer survivor. During the “Remember” ceremony, Fisher’s retired Fire and Life Safety Officer, Ron Ange, provided remarks remembering his sister, Dr. Karyl Mammano, a former Professor of Accounting and Director of Nonprofit Management for the Center of Community Engagement at Fisher, who passed away last September. And Scott Swigart ’15, son of Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy who is fighting pancreatic cancer, fittingly offered remarks during the “Fight Back” ceremony. Candace Kendall, a member of the Class of 2011 who was recently named Miss New York, returned to her alma mater to provide support to the event.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans