CRACOW SZOPKA, A Polish Christmas Tradition
Beginning on November 22, St. John Fisher College will host an art exhibit in the Gallery at the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled “Cracow Szopka: A Polish Christmas Tradition.” The exhibit is free and open to the public, and will run through December 22, 2010.
Cracow Szopka (“shop – kah” ; plural: “shop –key”) is a form of folk art with a rich history dating to the Middle Ages. Szopka structures feature various interpretations of Cracow architecture, from the Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. On the first Thursday of December, “Creche Masters” bring their szopki to the Market Square in Cracow, Poland where they are judged and placed on public display throughout the Holiday Season.
The Cracow Szopka exhibit is presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Szopki on display were created in a workshop taught by David Motak. Funding for the exhibit was provided by a grant from the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, the New York State Council on the Arts, and the New York State Legislature.
Gallery hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. For information on the exhibit at St. John Fisher College, please contact Calista Amering at email@example.com or at 585-385-7322.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems