CRACOW SZOPKA, A Polish Christmas Tradition
Beginning on November 22, St. John Fisher College will host an art exhibit in the Gallery at the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled “Cracow Szopka: A Polish Christmas Tradition.” The exhibit is free and open to the public, and will run through December 22, 2010.
Cracow Szopka (“shop – kah” ; plural: “shop –key”) is a form of folk art with a rich history dating to the Middle Ages. Szopka structures feature various interpretations of Cracow architecture, from the Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. On the first Thursday of December, “Creche Masters” bring their szopki to the Market Square in Cracow, Poland where they are judged and placed on public display throughout the Holiday Season.
The Cracow Szopka exhibit is presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Szopki on display were created in a workshop taught by David Motak. Funding for the exhibit was provided by a grant from the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, the New York State Council on the Arts, and the New York State Legislature.
Gallery hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. For information on the exhibit at St. John Fisher College, please contact Calista Amering at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 585-385-7322.
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair
- Ed.D. Student Highlighted in Huffington Post Article for Leadership, Service