CRACOW SZOPKA, A Polish Christmas Tradition
Beginning on November 22, St. John Fisher College will host an art exhibit in the Gallery at the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled “Cracow Szopka: A Polish Christmas Tradition.” The exhibit is free and open to the public, and will run through December 22, 2010.
Cracow Szopka (“shop – kah” ; plural: “shop –key”) is a form of folk art with a rich history dating to the Middle Ages. Szopka structures feature various interpretations of Cracow architecture, from the Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. On the first Thursday of December, “Creche Masters” bring their szopki to the Market Square in Cracow, Poland where they are judged and placed on public display throughout the Holiday Season.
The Cracow Szopka exhibit is presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Szopki on display were created in a workshop taught by David Motak. Funding for the exhibit was provided by a grant from the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, the New York State Council on the Arts, and the New York State Legislature.
Gallery hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. For information on the exhibit at St. John Fisher College, please contact Calista Amering at email@example.com or at 585-385-7322.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program