CRACOW SZOPKA, A Polish Christmas Tradition
Beginning on November 22, St. John Fisher College will host an art exhibit in the Gallery at the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled “Cracow Szopka: A Polish Christmas Tradition.” The exhibit is free and open to the public, and will run through December 22, 2010.
Cracow Szopka (“shop – kah” ; plural: “shop –key”) is a form of folk art with a rich history dating to the Middle Ages. Szopka structures feature various interpretations of Cracow architecture, from the Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. On the first Thursday of December, “Creche Masters” bring their szopki to the Market Square in Cracow, Poland where they are judged and placed on public display throughout the Holiday Season.
The Cracow Szopka exhibit is presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Szopki on display were created in a workshop taught by David Motak. Funding for the exhibit was provided by a grant from the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, the New York State Council on the Arts, and the New York State Legislature.
Gallery hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. For information on the exhibit at St. John Fisher College, please contact Calista Amering at email@example.com or at 585-385-7322.
Latest College News Stories
- Smith Named Academy of Nursing Education Fellow
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
- University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
- St. John Fisher College Annual Golf Tournament Raises $139,000
- Fisher Accounting Storms Europe
- Fisher Hosts a “Rochester Irish Gathering”
- College of New Rochelle Ed.D. Cohort Treated to Inspirational Guest Speaker
- Alumni Recognized at 2013 Financial Executive of the Year Awards
- English Club Donates Books to School No. 19
- Education Faculty Produce Documentary with East High School Students
- Fisher Takes on the 2013 Corporate Challenge
- School of Education Hosts Professional Development Schools Celebration Dinner
- Lavery’s Price Selected for Online Innovation Explorers Community
- Collaborative Work by Rice Recognized at Imagine RIT Event
- Bain to Present at Fall Conference in Ireland