CRACOW SZOPKA, A Polish Christmas Tradition
Beginning on November 22, St. John Fisher College will host an art exhibit in the Gallery at the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled “Cracow Szopka: A Polish Christmas Tradition.” The exhibit is free and open to the public, and will run through December 22, 2010.
Cracow Szopka (“shop – kah” ; plural: “shop –key”) is a form of folk art with a rich history dating to the Middle Ages. Szopka structures feature various interpretations of Cracow architecture, from the Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. On the first Thursday of December, “Creche Masters” bring their szopki to the Market Square in Cracow, Poland where they are judged and placed on public display throughout the Holiday Season.
The Cracow Szopka exhibit is presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Szopki on display were created in a workshop taught by David Motak. Funding for the exhibit was provided by a grant from the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, the New York State Council on the Arts, and the New York State Legislature.
Gallery hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday. For information on the exhibit at St. John Fisher College, please contact Calista Amering at email@example.com or at 585-385-7322.
Latest College News Stories
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation