Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition, Advance to Final Round
Two teams of accounting students traveled to Boston November 2-4 to compete in the regional Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition, and one of the teams placed first in the region.
The annual competition, which took place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. The teams were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges.
The winning team included Greg Church ’13, Katie Frandrich ’13, Dan Agan ’13, Brendan Hughes ’15, and Jadon O’Donnell ’15. They will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 18-20, 2013, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Kristi Jeffres ’13, Sarah Fordyce ’13, Anthony Venette ’13, Michelle Jennejohn ’15, and Jessica Martinez ’15.
This year’s regional event featured 74 student teams from 51 schools competing head-to-head in 16 Deloitte offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, San Diego, Salt Lake City, and Seattle.
Colleges who competed alongside Fisher at the regional level included: Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and North Carolina State University and will compete against the following colleges at Nationals in Dallas, Texas: Michigan State University, University of Missouri, University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Texas, University of Utah, and the College of William and Mary.
Students encourage each other the morning of the competition.
From L to R: Jadon O’Donnell, Anthony Venette, Katie Fandrich, Kristi Jeffres, Michelle Jennejohn, Jessica Martinez, Sarah Fordyce, Dan Agan, Brendan Hughes, Greg Church.
Latest College News Stories
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference