Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition, Advance to Final Round
Two teams of accounting students traveled to Boston November 2-4 to compete in the regional Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition, and one of the teams placed first in the region.
The annual competition, which took place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. The teams were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges.
The winning team included Greg Church ’13, Katie Frandrich ’13, Dan Agan ’13, Brendan Hughes ’15, and Jadon O’Donnell ’15. They will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 18-20, 2013, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Kristi Jeffres ’13, Sarah Fordyce ’13, Anthony Venette ’13, Michelle Jennejohn ’15, and Jessica Martinez ’15.
This year’s regional event featured 74 student teams from 51 schools competing head-to-head in 16 Deloitte offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, San Diego, Salt Lake City, and Seattle.
Colleges who competed alongside Fisher at the regional level included: Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and North Carolina State University and will compete against the following colleges at Nationals in Dallas, Texas: Michigan State University, University of Missouri, University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Texas, University of Utah, and the College of William and Mary.
Students encourage each other the morning of the competition.
From L to R: Jadon O’Donnell, Anthony Venette, Katie Fandrich, Kristi Jeffres, Michelle Jennejohn, Jessica Martinez, Sarah Fordyce, Dan Agan, Brendan Hughes, Greg Church.
Latest College News Stories
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award