Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition, Advance to Final Round
Two teams of accounting students traveled to Boston November 2-4 to compete in the regional Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition, and one of the teams placed first in the region.
The annual competition, which took place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. The teams were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges.
The winning team included Greg Church ’13, Katie Frandrich ’13, Dan Agan ’13, Brendan Hughes ’15, and Jadon O’Donnell ’15. They will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 18-20, 2013, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Kristi Jeffres ’13, Sarah Fordyce ’13, Anthony Venette ’13, Michelle Jennejohn ’15, and Jessica Martinez ’15.
This year’s regional event featured 74 student teams from 51 schools competing head-to-head in 16 Deloitte offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, San Diego, Salt Lake City, and Seattle.
Colleges who competed alongside Fisher at the regional level included: Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and North Carolina State University and will compete against the following colleges at Nationals in Dallas, Texas: Michigan State University, University of Missouri, University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Texas, University of Utah, and the College of William and Mary.
Students encourage each other the morning of the competition.
From L to R: Jadon O’Donnell, Anthony Venette, Katie Fandrich, Kristi Jeffres, Michelle Jennejohn, Jessica Martinez, Sarah Fordyce, Dan Agan, Brendan Hughes, Greg Church.
Latest College News Stories
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company