School of Education to Hold Information Session Saturday for New Pilot Program
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College has announced a new pilot program called PACT, Professional Adults to Certified Teachers. The program will begin in the fall of 2011, and applications are now being accepted.
The program will assist teacher assistants and paraprofessionals to become certified teachers in both childhood and special education. The College developed the program in response to a call to action from Jean-Claude Brizard, Superintendent, Rochester City School District, and David Steiner, Commissioner for New York School Districts and Teacher Education Colleges. The charge was to develop teachers for schools in urban and high needs areas through programs designed for qualified paraprofessionals who are currently employed in those schools.
“Our program will offer a unique learning community design, based on similar and successful programs all across the country,” said Dr. Wendy Paterson, Dean, School of Education. “It will include curricula for teacher certification specifically designed for an adult audience of teacher assistants whose experience in working with diverse populations propels them beyond that of teacher candidates in regular preparation programs.”
PACT, a five-semester program (including summer classes), will accept qualified candidates who have the equivalent of 60 hours of study from an accredited college and/or a two-year degree to complete their baccalaureate degree. Candidates will also qualify for initial certification in Childhood and Special Education grades 1-6.
There is an information session for teacher assistants in the Greater Rochester area who are interested in learning more about the program at St. John Fisher College on November 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Signs on campus will direct attendees to the PACT program location.
For additional information, contact Dr. Michelle Erklenz-Watts at 585-385-8404.
Latest College News Stories
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling