School of Education to Hold Information Session Saturday for New Pilot Program
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College has announced a new pilot program called PACT, Professional Adults to Certified Teachers. The program will begin in the fall of 2011, and applications are now being accepted.
The program will assist teacher assistants and paraprofessionals to become certified teachers in both childhood and special education. The College developed the program in response to a call to action from Jean-Claude Brizard, Superintendent, Rochester City School District, and David Steiner, Commissioner for New York School Districts and Teacher Education Colleges. The charge was to develop teachers for schools in urban and high needs areas through programs designed for qualified paraprofessionals who are currently employed in those schools.
“Our program will offer a unique learning community design, based on similar and successful programs all across the country,” said Dr. Wendy Paterson, Dean, School of Education. “It will include curricula for teacher certification specifically designed for an adult audience of teacher assistants whose experience in working with diverse populations propels them beyond that of teacher candidates in regular preparation programs.”
PACT, a five-semester program (including summer classes), will accept qualified candidates who have the equivalent of 60 hours of study from an accredited college and/or a two-year degree to complete their baccalaureate degree. Candidates will also qualify for initial certification in Childhood and Special Education grades 1-6.
There is an information session for teacher assistants in the Greater Rochester area who are interested in learning more about the program at St. John Fisher College on November 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Signs on campus will direct attendees to the PACT program location.
For additional information, contact Dr. Michelle Erklenz-Watts at 585-385-8404.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher