School of Education to Hold Information Session Saturday for New Pilot Program
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College has announced a new pilot program called PACT, Professional Adults to Certified Teachers. The program will begin in the fall of 2011, and applications are now being accepted.
The program will assist teacher assistants and paraprofessionals to become certified teachers in both childhood and special education. The College developed the program in response to a call to action from Jean-Claude Brizard, Superintendent, Rochester City School District, and David Steiner, Commissioner for New York School Districts and Teacher Education Colleges. The charge was to develop teachers for schools in urban and high needs areas through programs designed for qualified paraprofessionals who are currently employed in those schools.
“Our program will offer a unique learning community design, based on similar and successful programs all across the country,” said Dr. Wendy Paterson, Dean, School of Education. “It will include curricula for teacher certification specifically designed for an adult audience of teacher assistants whose experience in working with diverse populations propels them beyond that of teacher candidates in regular preparation programs.”
PACT, a five-semester program (including summer classes), will accept qualified candidates who have the equivalent of 60 hours of study from an accredited college and/or a two-year degree to complete their baccalaureate degree. Candidates will also qualify for initial certification in Childhood and Special Education grades 1-6.
There is an information session for teacher assistants in the Greater Rochester area who are interested in learning more about the program at St. John Fisher College on November 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Signs on campus will direct attendees to the PACT program location.
For additional information, contact Dr. Michelle Erklenz-Watts at 585-385-8404.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year