School of Education to Hold Information Session Saturday for New Pilot Program
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College has announced a new pilot program called PACT, Professional Adults to Certified Teachers. The program will begin in the fall of 2011, and applications are now being accepted.
The program will assist teacher assistants and paraprofessionals to become certified teachers in both childhood and special education. The College developed the program in response to a call to action from Jean-Claude Brizard, Superintendent, Rochester City School District, and David Steiner, Commissioner for New York School Districts and Teacher Education Colleges. The charge was to develop teachers for schools in urban and high needs areas through programs designed for qualified paraprofessionals who are currently employed in those schools.
“Our program will offer a unique learning community design, based on similar and successful programs all across the country,” said Dr. Wendy Paterson, Dean, School of Education. “It will include curricula for teacher certification specifically designed for an adult audience of teacher assistants whose experience in working with diverse populations propels them beyond that of teacher candidates in regular preparation programs.”
PACT, a five-semester program (including summer classes), will accept qualified candidates who have the equivalent of 60 hours of study from an accredited college and/or a two-year degree to complete their baccalaureate degree. Candidates will also qualify for initial certification in Childhood and Special Education grades 1-6.
There is an information session for teacher assistants in the Greater Rochester area who are interested in learning more about the program at St. John Fisher College on November 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Signs on campus will direct attendees to the PACT program location.
For additional information, contact Dr. Michelle Erklenz-Watts at 585-385-8404.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article