St. John Fisher College Presents Awards to Four Faculty Members
Earlier this month, at the President's Award Ceremony and Commencement, St. John Fisher College presented awards to four faculty members in recognition of outstanding teaching, advising, and scholarly work.
The Trustees' Award for Distinguished Scholarly Achievement is the highest honor that the Board of Trustees can bestow on a faculty member, second only to an honorary degree. The award is given to no more than one full-time faculty member each year in recognition of outstanding scholarly work, ranging from writing books and articles, to presenting papers at professional conferences. The 2008 recipient of the Trustees' Award for Distinguished Scholarly Achievement was Dr. Mark Rice, Chair of the American Studies Department.
The Part-Time Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence honors an individual who demonstrates outstanding teaching ability and who has never taught in a full-time capacity at Fisher. This year's award was given to Ms. Lisa Cunningham, Adjunct Professor of English and Professor of Women and Gender Studies.
The Full-Time Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence is given annually to a full-time faculty member at Fisher for outstanding work in the classroom. Recipients of this award must demonstrate thorough knowledge of their subject matter; solid preparation for class; clear and effective communication; and genuine enthusiasm for their job. This year's recipient was Dr. Michael Walczak, Associate Professor of Chemistry.
The Academic Advisor Award recognizes a faculty member whose academic advising services are considered to be exemplary by students and peers. The award recipient represents the best in academic advising practices through his or her availability to students; familiarity with academic programs and requirements; and an active interest in assisting students to explore academic opportunities and to get the most out of their Fisher education. All full- and part-time faculty members at Fisher who serve as academic advisors are eligible for the award. The 2007-2008 recipient was Mr. Mike Fedoryshyn, Chair of the Accounting and Finance Department in the Bittner School of Business.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rosenberry Leads Effort on Citizen-Centered Journalism Research Initiative
- Fisher Alumna Shares “10 Body Language Habits of Successful People”
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Fisher Grad Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium