Marketing Club Holds Successful “Marketing Week”
From October 1-5, the St. John Fisher College Chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA) hosted a week-long celebration in honor of the AMA. “Marketing Week” gave collegiate chapters the chance to showcase the field and its career opportunities, and highlight the benefits of AMA membership.
Last year, Fisher’s “Marketing Week” won national awards from the AMA, and the chapter was striving for the same results with this year’s line-up. The schedule was filled with a mixture of professionals, interactive events, and informational workshops.
The week began with a panel of speakers that reflected three unique industry perspectives. Panelists included: Tim Mason, CEO of MSM Marketing Communications; Tom Doran, Account Manager, Next! Ad Agency; and Tony Gonzalez, a local salesman with years of experience in sales and entrepreneurship. Mason is also the President-Elect of the Small Business Council of Rochester, and talked about marketing in small businesses. Doran shared his knowledge about search engine marketing, and good advice about the best opportunities for students coming out of college. And Gonzalez offered his perspective on why students shouldn’t be afraid of sales jobs and what they can do to help make themselves successful while still in school.
On October 2, Kate Ashbaugh, a member of IBM's global sales and marketing team, gave an enlightening presentation on Cultural Agility and working internationally. Ashbaugh was met by a large crowd that was interested in learning how business varies around the globe, and she delivered a lesson that was filled with humorous stories from her personal experience.
The week also featured a presentation by Pete Borrelli of Crazy Dog T-Shirts. Borrelli's talk on entrepreneurship and social media marketing gave the students in the crowd a special look at start-up marketing and the trials and tribulations of a growing new company.
Katherine List, the Director of Recruiting for Northwestern Mutual, was the final speaker of the week and ran a workshop on résumés and the art of interviewing.
On Thursday, October 4, the club hosted a screening of "The Joneses," which is a fictional depiction of stealth and buzz marketing. Students who went to this event were surprised to see how far companies will go to sell their products.
The week ended on a high-note, with the campus-wide “AMAzing Race,” which had students weaving their way around campus, answering clues about the AMA and the marketing industry.
“The events were really well received by both students and the professionals who participated,” said Christian Gonzalez, Executive Vice President of the Marketing Club. “We look forward to welcoming many of our speakers again next year to share their experiences with a whole new crop of students. The club wants to thank all of our speakers, the students who attended, and the faculty and staff - especially Dr. Monica Hodis - for all of their help making this event happen.”
Kate List offers advice to students for résumés, interviews, and how to follow up after the interview.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year