Countdown to Commencement 2012 – Steven Karnyski
This week’s “Countdown to Commencement” video features Steven Karnyski, a Biology major who is minoring in Chemistry and Mathematics. He was nominated by Dr. Kristen Picardo, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta, Associate Professor and Chair of the Biology department.
Picardo says the one thing she will remember about Karnyski is the day he rapped in class.
“Steve volunteered to rap a song about a biological process for the class as a fun way to remember the material. He stood up, turned his hat sideways, and rapped away about the evolution of a cell. I’ll remember that fun side of Steve forever!”
An excellent student athlete, Karnyski has also excelled in the classroom, maintaining a 3.92 GPA. He shares his knowledge with others by tutoring students in the Math Center. Additionally, he has worked on independent research in the Biology department and is an honors scholar. His academic achievement is not the only thing Karnyski should be proud of, as he also works hard on the field as a member of the St. John Fisher College baseball team.
Picardo and Lynd-Balta say that in ten years, they could see Karnyski as a successful physician. They said, “He will likely be a family man who is engaged in his community and perhaps even comes back to participate in Fisher Alumni events, especially in the sciences.”
Meet this week’s featured senior, Steven Karnyski! Best of luck to you, from the rest of the Fisher Family!
Latest College News Stories
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic