Fisher Students to “Rock the Vote”
With the presidential election right around the corner, students at St. John Fisher College are organizing a “Rock the Vote” event on campus, aimed at educating their peers about the candidates, the current issues, and why their vote is important. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 2, from 11:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. in the Campus Center Mainstage. It is being hosted by the Student Activities Board (SAB), and lunch will be provided.
The College’s new Young Voters Club will be holding voter registration throughout the event. In addition, life coach, author, and speaker John Germain Leto will be on campus to give students a motivational talk about the difference their vote can make. Leto is a former agent for artists including Beyonce and Usher, and will speak at 12:30 p.m.
Mark Prunella-Miller ’13, the spotlight coordinator for the SAB, said the club thought it was the ideal year to bring the event back to campus and see the student energy around the upcoming election.
“It is often the case that studies take up most of a student's time, and they do not spend as much time following politics or the important issues,” said Prunella-Miller. “This will be the first presidential election that the majority of the student body will be able to vote in, since most of the senior class was too young in 2008, so we’re excited about that.”
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Accounting Professor Selected for Third Fulbright
- Lavery Librarians Win Audience Award at Fast Pitch Competition
- Share Your Family Recipes with the Fisher Cookbook
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Grant to Fund New Training Program
- Fall Athletes Achieve Historic Seasons for Fisher
- Stress Free Week Activities Help Ease Finals Frenzy
- Grant Gives Media Arts Lab an Interactive Makeover
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors