Fisher Students to “Rock the Vote”
With the presidential election right around the corner, students at St. John Fisher College are organizing a “Rock the Vote” event on campus, aimed at educating their peers about the candidates, the current issues, and why their vote is important. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 2, from 11:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. in the Campus Center Mainstage. It is being hosted by the Student Activities Board (SAB), and lunch will be provided.
The College’s new Young Voters Club will be holding voter registration throughout the event. In addition, life coach, author, and speaker John Germain Leto will be on campus to give students a motivational talk about the difference their vote can make. Leto is a former agent for artists including Beyonce and Usher, and will speak at 12:30 p.m.
Mark Prunella-Miller ’13, the spotlight coordinator for the SAB, said the club thought it was the ideal year to bring the event back to campus and see the student energy around the upcoming election.
“It is often the case that studies take up most of a student's time, and they do not spend as much time following politics or the important issues,” said Prunella-Miller. “This will be the first presidential election that the majority of the student body will be able to vote in, since most of the senior class was too young in 2008, so we’re excited about that.”
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner