Teeter-Totter for National Girls and Women in Sports Day
On Wednesday, February 5, the Sport Studies Department will hold events to celebrate the 28th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NWGSD), which will once again include an essay contest and a teeter-totter marathon.
The theme of this year’s NWGSD is, “Passing the Torch, Blazing the Trail,” and the day will be celebrated across the country through various events with award ceremonies and activities honoring the achievements of girls and women in sports.
And thanks to Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, Associate Professor, the teeter-totter marathon has become an annual favorite, and serves as a fundraiser as well as recognition of NGWSD. Student and faculty volunteer groups, including many athletes on campus, will keep the teeter-totter in motion from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on February 5 in the Campus Center.
Essay contest themes were sent to regional K-12 schools in November. This year, authors were asked to choose among the themes, “Passing the torch, blazing a trail,” “Safety first” and “Be yourself, be proud.” Winners from each grade category (grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12) will be selected by a Fisher panel this week.
In addition, a t-shirt sale and “loose change challenge” is taking place through Tuesday, February 4, from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Basil lobby to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sport. Long sleeve t-shirts will be $15, and short sleeve t-shirts are $10. The winner of the loose change challenge will get free pizza.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program