Teeter-Totter for National Girls and Women in Sports Day
On Wednesday, February 5, the Sport Studies Department will hold events to celebrate the 28th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NWGSD), which will once again include an essay contest and a teeter-totter marathon.
The theme of this year’s NWGSD is, “Passing the Torch, Blazing the Trail,” and the day will be celebrated across the country through various events with award ceremonies and activities honoring the achievements of girls and women in sports.
And thanks to Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, Associate Professor, the teeter-totter marathon has become an annual favorite, and serves as a fundraiser as well as recognition of NGWSD. Student and faculty volunteer groups, including many athletes on campus, will keep the teeter-totter in motion from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on February 5 in the Campus Center.
Essay contest themes were sent to regional K-12 schools in November. This year, authors were asked to choose among the themes, “Passing the torch, blazing a trail,” “Safety first” and “Be yourself, be proud.” Winners from each grade category (grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12) will be selected by a Fisher panel this week.
In addition, a t-shirt sale and “loose change challenge” is taking place through Tuesday, February 4, from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Basil lobby to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sport. Long sleeve t-shirts will be $15, and short sleeve t-shirts are $10. The winner of the loose change challenge will get free pizza.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner