Teeter-Totter for National Girls and Women in Sports Day
On Wednesday, February 5, the Sport Studies Department will hold events to celebrate the 28th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NWGSD), which will once again include an essay contest and a teeter-totter marathon.
The theme of this year’s NWGSD is, “Passing the Torch, Blazing the Trail,” and the day will be celebrated across the country through various events with award ceremonies and activities honoring the achievements of girls and women in sports.
And thanks to Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, Associate Professor, the teeter-totter marathon has become an annual favorite, and serves as a fundraiser as well as recognition of NGWSD. Student and faculty volunteer groups, including many athletes on campus, will keep the teeter-totter in motion from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on February 5 in the Campus Center.
Essay contest themes were sent to regional K-12 schools in November. This year, authors were asked to choose among the themes, “Passing the torch, blazing a trail,” “Safety first” and “Be yourself, be proud.” Winners from each grade category (grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12) will be selected by a Fisher panel this week.
In addition, a t-shirt sale and “loose change challenge” is taking place through Tuesday, February 4, from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Basil lobby to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sport. Long sleeve t-shirts will be $15, and short sleeve t-shirts are $10. The winner of the loose change challenge will get free pizza.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes