Teeter-Totter for National Girls and Women in Sports Day
On Wednesday, February 5, the Sport Studies Department will hold events to celebrate the 28th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NWGSD), which will once again include an essay contest and a teeter-totter marathon.
The theme of this year’s NWGSD is, “Passing the Torch, Blazing the Trail,” and the day will be celebrated across the country through various events with award ceremonies and activities honoring the achievements of girls and women in sports.
And thanks to Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, Associate Professor, the teeter-totter marathon has become an annual favorite, and serves as a fundraiser as well as recognition of NGWSD. Student and faculty volunteer groups, including many athletes on campus, will keep the teeter-totter in motion from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on February 5 in the Campus Center.
Essay contest themes were sent to regional K-12 schools in November. This year, authors were asked to choose among the themes, “Passing the torch, blazing a trail,” “Safety first” and “Be yourself, be proud.” Winners from each grade category (grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12) will be selected by a Fisher panel this week.
In addition, a t-shirt sale and “loose change challenge” is taking place through Tuesday, February 4, from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Basil lobby to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sport. Long sleeve t-shirts will be $15, and short sleeve t-shirts are $10. The winner of the loose change challenge will get free pizza.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International