Teeter-Totter for National Girls and Women in Sports Day
On Wednesday, February 5, the Sport Studies Department will hold events to celebrate the 28th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NWGSD), which will once again include an essay contest and a teeter-totter marathon.
The theme of this year’s NWGSD is, “Passing the Torch, Blazing the Trail,” and the day will be celebrated across the country through various events with award ceremonies and activities honoring the achievements of girls and women in sports.
And thanks to Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, Associate Professor, the teeter-totter marathon has become an annual favorite, and serves as a fundraiser as well as recognition of NGWSD. Student and faculty volunteer groups, including many athletes on campus, will keep the teeter-totter in motion from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on February 5 in the Campus Center.
Essay contest themes were sent to regional K-12 schools in November. This year, authors were asked to choose among the themes, “Passing the torch, blazing a trail,” “Safety first” and “Be yourself, be proud.” Winners from each grade category (grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12) will be selected by a Fisher panel this week.
In addition, a t-shirt sale and “loose change challenge” is taking place through Tuesday, February 4, from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Basil lobby to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sport. Long sleeve t-shirts will be $15, and short sleeve t-shirts are $10. The winner of the loose change challenge will get free pizza.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference