St. John Fisher College’s Wegmans School of Nursing Receives $911,000 Grant for Program Expansion
St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) has received a grant from the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration in the amount of $911,448, which will be used to continue to develop and expand the College's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program.
The grant will help the development and implementation of new courses for the existing doctor of nursing practice program. According to Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, WSoN, the enhanced curriculum will include cultural competencies specifically focused on underrepresented groups, medically underserved, and at-risk populations. In addition, the School will implement a focused recruitment effort for the program, to attract DNP students from underrepresented groups.
"We are committed to develop our DNP students so they are able to serve disadvantaged populations, rural citizens, and at-risk school children, in settings where they can apply new models of care and offer new health care solutions to the populations most in need," said Cooney Miner.
The grant comes at a time when the Greater Rochester area's unemployment rate is high, resulting in a growing economically disadvantaged population who has less access to health care. The WSoN hopes to use some of the funds towards the expansion of clinical learning sites for DNP students that will include the opportunity to work with the medically underserved, minority and disadvantaged city school students, migrant workers, rural citizens, and veterans.
The DNP program accepts nurses at the post-master's level and post-baccalaureate level. The post-master's admission is for advanced practice nurses who are prepared as nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, and nurse anesthetists. Post-baccalaureate admission advances baccalaureate-prepared nurses to doctoral preparation as nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists.
For more information about the DNP Program, contact Mary S. Collins, PhD, RN, FAAN, DNP Program Director at (585) 385-8397 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic
- "Smash the Scale" on National Love Your Body Day
- From Dancing Shoes to Running Shoes: Teddi Trot Coming October 25
- “Lisa Kindel, You Are An Ironman!”
- Fisher Named to 2015 Military Friendly Schools List