St. John Fisher College’s Wegmans School of Nursing Receives $911,000 Grant for Program Expansion
St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) has received a grant from the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration in the amount of $911,448, which will be used to continue to develop and expand the College's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program.
The grant will help the development and implementation of new courses for the existing doctor of nursing practice program. According to Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, WSoN, the enhanced curriculum will include cultural competencies specifically focused on underrepresented groups, medically underserved, and at-risk populations. In addition, the School will implement a focused recruitment effort for the program, to attract DNP students from underrepresented groups.
"We are committed to develop our DNP students so they are able to serve disadvantaged populations, rural citizens, and at-risk school children, in settings where they can apply new models of care and offer new health care solutions to the populations most in need," said Cooney Miner.
The grant comes at a time when the Greater Rochester area's unemployment rate is high, resulting in a growing economically disadvantaged population who has less access to health care. The WSoN hopes to use some of the funds towards the expansion of clinical learning sites for DNP students that will include the opportunity to work with the medically underserved, minority and disadvantaged city school students, migrant workers, rural citizens, and veterans.
The DNP program accepts nurses at the post-master's level and post-baccalaureate level. The post-master's admission is for advanced practice nurses who are prepared as nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, and nurse anesthetists. Post-baccalaureate admission advances baccalaureate-prepared nurses to doctoral preparation as nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists.
For more information about the DNP Program, contact Mary S. Collins, PhD, RN, FAAN, DNP Program Director at (585) 385-8397 or email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems