St. John Fisher College’s Wegmans School of Nursing Receives $911,000 Grant for Program Expansion
St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) has received a grant from the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration in the amount of $911,448, which will be used to continue to develop and expand the College's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program.
The grant will help the development and implementation of new courses for the existing doctor of nursing practice program. According to Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, WSoN, the enhanced curriculum will include cultural competencies specifically focused on underrepresented groups, medically underserved, and at-risk populations. In addition, the School will implement a focused recruitment effort for the program, to attract DNP students from underrepresented groups.
"We are committed to develop our DNP students so they are able to serve disadvantaged populations, rural citizens, and at-risk school children, in settings where they can apply new models of care and offer new health care solutions to the populations most in need," said Cooney Miner.
The grant comes at a time when the Greater Rochester area's unemployment rate is high, resulting in a growing economically disadvantaged population who has less access to health care. The WSoN hopes to use some of the funds towards the expansion of clinical learning sites for DNP students that will include the opportunity to work with the medically underserved, minority and disadvantaged city school students, migrant workers, rural citizens, and veterans.
The DNP program accepts nurses at the post-master's level and post-baccalaureate level. The post-master's admission is for advanced practice nurses who are prepared as nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, and nurse anesthetists. Post-baccalaureate admission advances baccalaureate-prepared nurses to doctoral preparation as nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists.
For more information about the DNP Program, contact Mary S. Collins, PhD, RN, FAAN, DNP Program Director at (585) 385-8397 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Clark Honored with Teddi Award
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum