St. John Fisher College’s Wegmans School of Nursing Receives $911,000 Grant for Program Expansion
St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) has received a grant from the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration in the amount of $911,448, which will be used to continue to develop and expand the College's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program.
The grant will help the development and implementation of new courses for the existing doctor of nursing practice program. According to Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, WSoN, the enhanced curriculum will include cultural competencies specifically focused on underrepresented groups, medically underserved, and at-risk populations. In addition, the School will implement a focused recruitment effort for the program, to attract DNP students from underrepresented groups.
"We are committed to develop our DNP students so they are able to serve disadvantaged populations, rural citizens, and at-risk school children, in settings where they can apply new models of care and offer new health care solutions to the populations most in need," said Cooney Miner.
The grant comes at a time when the Greater Rochester area's unemployment rate is high, resulting in a growing economically disadvantaged population who has less access to health care. The WSoN hopes to use some of the funds towards the expansion of clinical learning sites for DNP students that will include the opportunity to work with the medically underserved, minority and disadvantaged city school students, migrant workers, rural citizens, and veterans.
The DNP program accepts nurses at the post-master's level and post-baccalaureate level. The post-master's admission is for advanced practice nurses who are prepared as nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, and nurse anesthetists. Post-baccalaureate admission advances baccalaureate-prepared nurses to doctoral preparation as nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists.
For more information about the DNP Program, contact Mary S. Collins, PhD, RN, FAAN, DNP Program Director at (585) 385-8397 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”