St. John Fisher College’s Wegmans School of Nursing Receives $911,000 Grant for Program Expansion
St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) has received a grant from the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration in the amount of $911,448, which will be used to continue to develop and expand the College's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program.
The grant will help the development and implementation of new courses for the existing doctor of nursing practice program. According to Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, WSoN, the enhanced curriculum will include cultural competencies specifically focused on underrepresented groups, medically underserved, and at-risk populations. In addition, the School will implement a focused recruitment effort for the program, to attract DNP students from underrepresented groups.
"We are committed to develop our DNP students so they are able to serve disadvantaged populations, rural citizens, and at-risk school children, in settings where they can apply new models of care and offer new health care solutions to the populations most in need," said Cooney Miner.
The grant comes at a time when the Greater Rochester area's unemployment rate is high, resulting in a growing economically disadvantaged population who has less access to health care. The WSoN hopes to use some of the funds towards the expansion of clinical learning sites for DNP students that will include the opportunity to work with the medically underserved, minority and disadvantaged city school students, migrant workers, rural citizens, and veterans.
The DNP program accepts nurses at the post-master's level and post-baccalaureate level. The post-master's admission is for advanced practice nurses who are prepared as nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, and nurse anesthetists. Post-baccalaureate admission advances baccalaureate-prepared nurses to doctoral preparation as nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists.
For more information about the DNP Program, contact Mary S. Collins, PhD, RN, FAAN, DNP Program Director at (585) 385-8397 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference