College Celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
On Monday, January 21, St. John Fisher College hosted its annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. The theme of this year's event was "Allow Freedom to Ring for All God’s Children,” and the event attracted 150 students, faculty, staff, and community members.
The keynote speaker was The Honorable Stephen T. Miller, Rochester City Court Judge and Executive Pastor of the Church of Love Faith Center, Inc. Miller was born and raised in Rochester, and earned a bachelor of arts in history and psychology from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, and a master’s degree in education from Nazareth College. He also pursued his Juris Doctorate from SUNY Buffalo Law School.
Hon. Stephen T. Miller.
Miller was elected to City Court Judge in November 2005. He is a member of the Rochester Black Bar Association, the Franklin H. Williams Judicial Commission on Minorities, and the New York State Unified Court System. He has served on a variety of boards and committees over the years, including the YMCA of Greater Rochester. In 2006, Miller was honored for his service by the Rochester Teen Court with the “Hero” award. That same year, he was recognized by Wilson Magnet High School as a Distinguished Wilson Alumnus for success in the Rochester community, and named one of Rochester’s “Emerging African American Leaders” by the Democrat and Chronicle. In 2007, he was honored by the Austin Steward Foundation for his service and commitment to the Rochester community.
The celebration also included a dance performance by Fisher student Candace Benjamin and an original poetry reading by student Shaquille Payne.
As part of the celebration each year, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs holds a hospitality kit drive. Donations of personal hygiene items from the campus community and the larger Rochester community poured in, and volunteers prepared the kits throughout the day on Monday. A total of 4,808 items were donated, creating 767 hospitality kits – beating last year’s total by 212! The kits will be delivered to local organizations including St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, A Meal and More, Saint’s Place, Sojourner House, Foundations of Hope Ministries, Mary’s Place, and Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards