World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. VP to Speak at Fisher April 15
On Monday, April 15, the St. John Fisher College School of Business MBA Program will host guest speaker Lauren Dienes-Middlen, Esq., Vice President, Intellectual Property, World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. to present, “IP Smackdown: WWE Protects its Intellectual Property.” Her talk will begin at 6:00 p.m. in Basil 135, and is open to the public.
Prior to joining WWE in 2001, Dienes-Middlen was an associate at Gursky & Ederer, LLP, and before that, at Schweitzer, Cornman, Gross & Bondell, LLP, both IP firms in New York City.
Her experience includes copyright and trademark counseling, trademark availability analysis, trademark prosecution and enforcement, including copyright and trademark infringement actions, internet domain name disputes, and trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She is experienced in negotiating and drafting IP licenses, product placement contracts, location agreements, photographer agreements, model releases, assignments, and settlement agreements.
In her role at the WWE, she is responsible for counseling WWE business groups regarding the best branding strategy for enhancing and developing strong trademark rights worldwide, including proper selection and use of marks and prosecution of trademark applications, and registrations in the U.S. and more than 80 countries. She is personally responsible for maintaining WWE’s worldwide significant trademark portfolio, consisting of approximately 6,000 active and registered trademarks in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
She also manages the WWE Anti-Piracy Program, and devotes significant attention to enforcing WWE’s rights through the monitoring and DMCA takedown of online pirated content, as well as through the seizure and destruction of counterfeit physical goods worldwide. She is experienced in protecting, monitoring, and enforcing various types of trademark and copyright rights, and manages trademark oppositions, cancellations, domain name arbitrations, and all of WWE’s anti-counterfeiting efforts. In addition to assisting with litigation, she has valuable experience in achieving amicable resolutions of trademark disputes through the negotiation and drafting of coexistence arrangements and settlement agreements.
As a result of her years in private practice, as well as her current employment with WWE, Dienes-Middlen has represented trademark and copyright ownership rights in a wide variety of industries including live and televised sports entertainment, digital media, apparel, toys and sporting goods, household goods, cosmetics and fragrances, food and beverage, magazines, home video, and theatrical films.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists