’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
The Annual Science Scholars Program Symposium Lecture will feature keynote speaker Dr. Martha Mutschler-Chu ’75, Professor in the Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics at Cornell University. The lecture will take place on Thursday, March 20, at 6:30 p.m. in Basil 135. It is free and open to the public.
Mutschler-Chu is a Professor and Vegetable Breeder in the Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics at Cornell University. During her lecture, she will discuss her work focusing on disease and insect resistance to reduce the use of chemical sprays in vegetable production.
As a member of the first co-educational class at Fisher in 1971, Mutschler-Chu earned a B.S. in Biology in 1975. She then went on to earn her M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Plant Breeding and Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1977 and 1979, respectively. She has been a faculty member at Cornell since 1979, working as a Vegetable Breeder/Geneticist on tomatoes and onions. Her work focuses on disease and insect resistance to reduce the use of chemical sprays in vegetable production, benefiting growers, consumers, and the environment. In addition, she has worked on issues of intellectual property, having served as a member of the Board of Directors for the Cornell Research Foundation (1989–2004) and on the Cornell University Patent Policy Committee. Her work on university, health, and agricultural intellectual property has been published in periodicals and books.
At the lecture, the College will officially induct Mutschler-Chu into the Science and Technology Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame is located in the Skalny Science Center and was established in 2011 by the College’s Science and Technology Alumni Group. The purpose of the Hall of Fame is to recognize individuals who have made a significant contribution to science and/or technology, science education, medicine or health-related fields, or who are noteworthy for their service to their community or the College.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins