Biology Students Support National Arbor Day Foundation Initiative
You may be wondering why many of the campus’ beautiful trees have been accessorized with orange ties. No, they are not being removed! Quite the opposite is happening. Students in the Plant Biology Lab are conducting a survey of all of the solitary trees on campus to build an inventory of Fisher’s natural capital of trees, all in an effort to obtain the National Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA status.
The initiative, being lead by Dr. James Schwartz, recognizes college and university campuses that: effectively manage their campus trees; develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy, urban forests; and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community, forest efforts.
Next week, the team will open up the survey to volunteers to finish collecting the data needed. On Tuesday, 9/28, and Thursday, 9/30, the Recycling and Sustainability Committee, Biology Club, and SWAV will train volunteers in Skalny A219 to conduct surveys during free period. If interested, contact Dr. Michael Boller (x3732) or email@example.com for more information.
Campuses can be recognized as a Tree Campus USA college by meeting five standards:
-Campus Tree Advisory Committee
-Campus Tree Care Plan
-Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
-Arbor Day Observance
-Service Learning Project
To find out more details about these standards, click here.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open