Biology Students Support National Arbor Day Foundation Initiative
You may be wondering why many of the campus’ beautiful trees have been accessorized with orange ties. No, they are not being removed! Quite the opposite is happening. Students in the Plant Biology Lab are conducting a survey of all of the solitary trees on campus to build an inventory of Fisher’s natural capital of trees, all in an effort to obtain the National Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA status.
The initiative, being lead by Dr. James Schwartz, recognizes college and university campuses that: effectively manage their campus trees; develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy, urban forests; and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community, forest efforts.
Next week, the team will open up the survey to volunteers to finish collecting the data needed. On Tuesday, 9/28, and Thursday, 9/30, the Recycling and Sustainability Committee, Biology Club, and SWAV will train volunteers in Skalny A219 to conduct surveys during free period. If interested, contact Dr. Michael Boller (x3732) or email@example.com for more information.
Campuses can be recognized as a Tree Campus USA college by meeting five standards:
-Campus Tree Advisory Committee
-Campus Tree Care Plan
-Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
-Arbor Day Observance
-Service Learning Project
To find out more details about these standards, click here.
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards