Biology Students Support National Arbor Day Foundation Initiative
You may be wondering why many of the campus’ beautiful trees have been accessorized with orange ties. No, they are not being removed! Quite the opposite is happening. Students in the Plant Biology Lab are conducting a survey of all of the solitary trees on campus to build an inventory of Fisher’s natural capital of trees, all in an effort to obtain the National Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA status.
The initiative, being lead by Dr. James Schwartz, recognizes college and university campuses that: effectively manage their campus trees; develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy, urban forests; and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community, forest efforts.
Next week, the team will open up the survey to volunteers to finish collecting the data needed. On Tuesday, 9/28, and Thursday, 9/30, the Recycling and Sustainability Committee, Biology Club, and SWAV will train volunteers in Skalny A219 to conduct surveys during free period. If interested, contact Dr. Michael Boller (x3732) or email@example.com for more information.
Campuses can be recognized as a Tree Campus USA college by meeting five standards:
-Campus Tree Advisory Committee
-Campus Tree Care Plan
-Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
-Arbor Day Observance
-Service Learning Project
To find out more details about these standards, click here.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement