Biology Students Support National Arbor Day Foundation Initiative
You may be wondering why many of the campus’ beautiful trees have been accessorized with orange ties. No, they are not being removed! Quite the opposite is happening. Students in the Plant Biology Lab are conducting a survey of all of the solitary trees on campus to build an inventory of Fisher’s natural capital of trees, all in an effort to obtain the National Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA status.
The initiative, being lead by Dr. James Schwartz, recognizes college and university campuses that: effectively manage their campus trees; develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy, urban forests; and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community, forest efforts.
Next week, the team will open up the survey to volunteers to finish collecting the data needed. On Tuesday, 9/28, and Thursday, 9/30, the Recycling and Sustainability Committee, Biology Club, and SWAV will train volunteers in Skalny A219 to conduct surveys during free period. If interested, contact Dr. Michael Boller (x3732) or email@example.com for more information.
Campuses can be recognized as a Tree Campus USA college by meeting five standards:
-Campus Tree Advisory Committee
-Campus Tree Care Plan
-Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
-Arbor Day Observance
-Service Learning Project
To find out more details about these standards, click here.
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest