Biology Students Support National Arbor Day Foundation Initiative
You may be wondering why many of the campus’ beautiful trees have been accessorized with orange ties. No, they are not being removed! Quite the opposite is happening. Students in the Plant Biology Lab are conducting a survey of all of the solitary trees on campus to build an inventory of Fisher’s natural capital of trees, all in an effort to obtain the National Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA status.
The initiative, being lead by Dr. James Schwartz, recognizes college and university campuses that: effectively manage their campus trees; develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy, urban forests; and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community, forest efforts.
Next week, the team will open up the survey to volunteers to finish collecting the data needed. On Tuesday, 9/28, and Thursday, 9/30, the Recycling and Sustainability Committee, Biology Club, and SWAV will train volunteers in Skalny A219 to conduct surveys during free period. If interested, contact Dr. Michael Boller (x3732) or email@example.com for more information.
Campuses can be recognized as a Tree Campus USA college by meeting five standards:
-Campus Tree Advisory Committee
-Campus Tree Care Plan
-Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
-Arbor Day Observance
-Service Learning Project
To find out more details about these standards, click here.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program