O’Rorke Bust Dedication Draws Crowd of 120
St. John Fisher College and the Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society dedicated a new bust of Colonel Patrick O’Rorke in Lavery Library on Saturday, September 23. The event attracted a crowd of 120 and included Civil War re-enactors, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Knights of Columbus, the Emerald Society, and the Irish American Cultural Institute, a representative from West Point, and several Fisher faculty, staff, and students.
The event began with a Memorial Mass at Coleman Chapel where Father Al Cylwicki, CSB, served as the mass celebrant. Mass was followed by a procession to the Irish Famine Memorial on campus, and a remembrance wreath was laid on the memorial. The bust dedication took place in Lavery Library, where it is now on display.
Speakers included Dr. Donald Bain, President of the College; the Honorable Rick Dollinger; Tom O’Connell, Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society; Dr. Tim Madigan, Director, Irish Studies Program; and other O’Rorke experts and historians.
O’Rorke was born in County Cavan in 1837, emigrated to Rochester in 1842, and graduated first in his class from West Point in 1861. A Colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War, he fought valiantly and was killed on Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.
The College’s new Irish Studies program will feature an annual “Col. O’Rorke Seminar” concerning the contributions and experiences of the Irish Americans during the Civil War period.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International