Pharmacy Faculty Co-Write Book about Suicide Prevention
Dr. Jill Lavigne and Dr. Fang Zhao, Associate Professors from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, recently published a book about suicide prevention, “Frontiers in Suicide Risk: Research, Treatment and Prevention,” and co-wrote it with over 40 scientists and clinicians from around the world.
The book includes 17 chapters that cover prevention methods. For those clinicians who work with patients at the bedside, they write about exploring the use of motivational interviewing to treat patients with active suicidal ideation. The book also talks about prevention efforts that are being developed and implemented to assess suicide risk and prevent attempts in specific patient groups, such as older adults and those with traumatic brain injury or substance use. Additionally, the authors discuss suicide risk and prevention attempts by community-based participatory research programs, the United States government, and the field of economics.
Lavigne was the book's sole editor and wrote two chapters including, “The Comparative Safety of Multiple Drug Regimens with Adverse Effects of Risk of Suicidal Ideation or Behavior: A Study Design for Bipolar Disorder” and "Pharmacist and Pharmacy Staff Knowledge, Attitudes and Motivation to Refer Patients for Suicide Risk Assessment: Lessons from Operation SAVE." Zhao wrote a chapter entitled, “Innovative Drug Delivery and Formulation Designs to Deter Drug Abuse and Misuse Related to Suicide.”
The pair co-wrote the book with experts from the Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, US Department of Veterans Affairs, University of Rochester Medical Center, University of Alabama, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, University of Pittsburgh, Tulane University, Yeditepe University (Turkey), University of Saskatchewan (Canada), Iwate Medical University (Japan), Goethe University (Germany), University of Leuven (Belgium), King’s College of London, University of Montpellier, Academic Hospital of Montpellier, and Psychiatric Hospital of Sint-Camillus (Belgium).
- College's Justinian Order Holds 12th Annual Luncheon Featuring Honorable Frank Geraci, Jr.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award