St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
St. John Fisher College has received a $50,000 College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which is being used to support a comprehensive college-readiness program with students from James Monroe High School in Rochester.
The federal CACG program is designed to help low-income, at-risk students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully navigate the college admissions and financial aid process. HESC has administered New York’s CACG Program since its inception in 2008.
Up to 50 tenth and eleventh-grade students, identified by guidance staff and teachers, are enrolled in Fisher’s program, which runs from December 3, 2012 through August 1, 2013. The program also actively engages the students’ parents/guardians and the high school guidance staff.
Fisher has worked with James Monroe High School guidance counselor staff to provide information and training on college requirements, financial aid, the admissions process, and what is expected from students.
Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) will attend summer workshops focused on the college admissions and financial aid process, preparing students to successfully graduate from high school, college requirements, exploring college majors and career options, and SAT preparation. Later in the summer, students will also have the opportunity to attend college tour(s) and participate in a one-week summer residential experience at Fisher, staying in residence halls, to experience college residential life. Throughout that week, students will work both individually and in small groups, participating in team-building exercises, familiarizing themselves with aspects of the college search and selection process, and receiving information and ongoing support related to the college admission process.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International