St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
St. John Fisher College has received a $50,000 College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which is being used to support a comprehensive college-readiness program with students from James Monroe High School in Rochester.
The federal CACG program is designed to help low-income, at-risk students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully navigate the college admissions and financial aid process. HESC has administered New York’s CACG Program since its inception in 2008.
Up to 50 tenth and eleventh-grade students, identified by guidance staff and teachers, are enrolled in Fisher’s program, which runs from December 3, 2012 through August 1, 2013. The program also actively engages the students’ parents/guardians and the high school guidance staff.
Fisher has worked with James Monroe High School guidance counselor staff to provide information and training on college requirements, financial aid, the admissions process, and what is expected from students.
Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) will attend summer workshops focused on the college admissions and financial aid process, preparing students to successfully graduate from high school, college requirements, exploring college majors and career options, and SAT preparation. Later in the summer, students will also have the opportunity to attend college tour(s) and participate in a one-week summer residential experience at Fisher, staying in residence halls, to experience college residential life. Throughout that week, students will work both individually and in small groups, participating in team-building exercises, familiarizing themselves with aspects of the college search and selection process, and receiving information and ongoing support related to the college admission process.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference