Fisher Teams Up with Healthcare Partners at Training Camp
Every day during Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College, students and staff from the Wegmans School of Nursing will be offering blood pressure screenings as part of the Greater Rochester Hypertension Initiative. A community-wide group consisting of the Rochester Business Alliance, the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, and Fisher has joined forces to raise awareness of hypertension, diet and nutrition, and healthy habits.
Two blood pressure screening stations have been set up in the merchandise tent at the entrance of training camp. After each screening, the “Blood Pressure Ambassadors” will interpret the results for the individuals, offer them pamphlets regarding blood pressure control and healthy eating, and recommend any appropriate follow-up.
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing and Chair of the Blood Pressure Community Engagement Initiative, has helped organize similar screenings in barber shops, beauty parlors, and community centers in the city, in an effort to be “where the people are.” It was the success of this experience that prompted Dr. Miner to set up the operation at training camp.
Latest College News Stories
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club