Fisher Teams Up with Healthcare Partners at Training Camp
Every day during Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College, students and staff from the Wegmans School of Nursing will be offering blood pressure screenings as part of the Greater Rochester Hypertension Initiative. A community-wide group consisting of the Rochester Business Alliance, the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, and Fisher has joined forces to raise awareness of hypertension, diet and nutrition, and healthy habits.
Two blood pressure screening stations have been set up in the merchandise tent at the entrance of training camp. After each screening, the “Blood Pressure Ambassadors” will interpret the results for the individuals, offer them pamphlets regarding blood pressure control and healthy eating, and recommend any appropriate follow-up.
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing and Chair of the Blood Pressure Community Engagement Initiative, has helped organize similar screenings in barber shops, beauty parlors, and community centers in the city, in an effort to be “where the people are.” It was the success of this experience that prompted Dr. Miner to set up the operation at training camp.
Latest College News Stories
- Bio Students Present Research
- Ceremony Showcases Service-Learning at Fisher
- Education Professor Elected to Board of American Council for Rural Special Education
- Relay Unites Campus in Fight Against Cancer
- Legal Studies Program Honors Dr. Bain
- Student Entrepreneurs Present Ideas at Business Plan Competition
- Student Work Featured on Local Radio Station
- Alumni of Color Dinner Celebrates Seniors
- PCC Volunteer Program Celebrates 10 Years
- Investment Club Earns First Place Finish in Adirondack Cup Challenge
- SGA Honors Students, Faculty, Staff during Awards Ceremony
- Boev’s Research on Nurse-Physician Collaboration Featured in Publications
- Education Alum Named to Editorial Board of Lower Hudson Newspaper
- Nursing Student Attends Health Policy Conference
- Education Alumna Honored by National Organization