Fisher Teams Up with Healthcare Partners at Training Camp
Every day during Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College, students and staff from the Wegmans School of Nursing will be offering blood pressure screenings as part of the Greater Rochester Hypertension Initiative. A community-wide group consisting of the Rochester Business Alliance, the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, and Fisher has joined forces to raise awareness of hypertension, diet and nutrition, and healthy habits.
Two blood pressure screening stations have been set up in the merchandise tent at the entrance of training camp. After each screening, the “Blood Pressure Ambassadors” will interpret the results for the individuals, offer them pamphlets regarding blood pressure control and healthy eating, and recommend any appropriate follow-up.
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing and Chair of the Blood Pressure Community Engagement Initiative, has helped organize similar screenings in barber shops, beauty parlors, and community centers in the city, in an effort to be “where the people are.” It was the success of this experience that prompted Dr. Miner to set up the operation at training camp.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year