Fisher Teams Up with Healthcare Partners at Training Camp
Every day during Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College, students and staff from the Wegmans School of Nursing will be offering blood pressure screenings as part of the Greater Rochester Hypertension Initiative. A community-wide group consisting of the Rochester Business Alliance, the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, and Fisher has joined forces to raise awareness of hypertension, diet and nutrition, and healthy habits.
Two blood pressure screening stations have been set up in the merchandise tent at the entrance of training camp. After each screening, the “Blood Pressure Ambassadors” will interpret the results for the individuals, offer them pamphlets regarding blood pressure control and healthy eating, and recommend any appropriate follow-up.
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing and Chair of the Blood Pressure Community Engagement Initiative, has helped organize similar screenings in barber shops, beauty parlors, and community centers in the city, in an effort to be “where the people are.” It was the success of this experience that prompted Dr. Miner to set up the operation at training camp.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems