Fisher Teams Up with Healthcare Partners at Training Camp
Every day during Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College, students and staff from the Wegmans School of Nursing will be offering blood pressure screenings as part of the Greater Rochester Hypertension Initiative. A community-wide group consisting of the Rochester Business Alliance, the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, and Fisher has joined forces to raise awareness of hypertension, diet and nutrition, and healthy habits.
Two blood pressure screening stations have been set up in the merchandise tent at the entrance of training camp. After each screening, the “Blood Pressure Ambassadors” will interpret the results for the individuals, offer them pamphlets regarding blood pressure control and healthy eating, and recommend any appropriate follow-up.
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing and Chair of the Blood Pressure Community Engagement Initiative, has helped organize similar screenings in barber shops, beauty parlors, and community centers in the city, in an effort to be “where the people are.” It was the success of this experience that prompted Dr. Miner to set up the operation at training camp.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner